Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No worries - glad to see you went a touch bigger in the late additions than you'd originally planned.  You won't regret it and it'll still be in lawnmower beer territory.  Just wait til you tatse the Galaxy passionfruit kick in (insert drool emoticon)!

Hey dudes,

I was in Wellington over the weekend, and DAMN the Tuatara Pilsener was tasting good down there. Really keen to brew something similar for summer, any clues? I had a quick search through the forum and couldn't find anything...

Cheers

just copying and pasting: "...authentic Czech yeast..." so maybe WY2278?

Pacific Jade to bitter. Motueka, Nelson Sauvin, and Riwaka for flavour".

"100% New Zealand malt," so probably malturop pils.

I made a really nice pilsner last year with 2278, Southern Cross for bittering, then Motueka, Riwaka and a wee bit of Hallertau. the Riwaka takes it to another level (which is probably no consolation unless you have some...).

Ah yep cool.

Well I've got a sack of Bohemian Pils malt at home so could do:

TG 1.050

25 IBU

Bohemian Pils

60 m Pacific Jade

.5 g/l @ 30, 10, 0 Mot, Nelson, Riwaka

Maybe try a step mash to get better head retention etc, or add some Carapils? If I can't get ahold of some  Riwaka probably sub in NZ Cascade?

2x packs of S-23 cos I'm off the liquid yeast buzz at the moment

Here's a link to my all Mot pilsner for something similar.You might want to change the step mash to compensate for the better attenuation of the dry yeast. I'd go easy on the cascade though. Mot and Sauvin are the traditional substitute for Riwaka.

Oh, and make at least 40 litres. For such a drinkable beer and for the work and time involved, one keg is never enough!

Looks good Dougal! How'd you find the bitterness of that number you brewed? Seems a little high?

Nah, it was perfect. 2278 and the mash temps left quite a bit of body, so the bitterness is high but pretty balanced. I've gone up to 40 IBU in a Bo Pils before. Non beer geeks often confuse it for a pale ale to taste.

I would concur with 40IBU - the couple of Tuatara Pilsners I had at the weekend were hoppy and bitter. They may have tweaked the recipe.

Also, Pilsner Urqell as the ur-style has a decent bitterness

I think Kelly Ryan had suggested somewhere around here (in WBC perhaps?) that a ratio of mot to sauvin was the best bet for a direct sub. I'm sure cascade would be nice. Or you could do something else frooty but more tropical like kohatu / waititi?

Yep I saw that ratio thing somewhere - Good idea about Kohatu or Waititi.

I knew I'd seen that too so I had to dig it out - the ratio is 4:1 of Mot to Sauvin according to this comment here

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service