Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Views: 3199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm split on this.

1: You build a business to make a crust. Yes, Emerson's has done so much for the craft beer market, but they've also been going for 18 years. That's a long time to stick something out without getting a huge return.

2: No amount of money is worth your credibility and integrity. If Lion manage the marketing/distribution and leave Emerson's to do their thing in the brewery then this doesn't really factor in.

Fingers crossed. Either way, I hope Richard takes a well-earned holiday!

Great stuff for all involved. I have always had some fondness for Lion… I’ve known a great deal of excellent people who have worked there over the years and think that, in general, they make some very good beers.  I’ve never been able to think of a DB product that I’d prefer over the equivalent Lion offering. And that is a taste thing, not a company preference.  I think Emerson’s is an awesome addition to their portfolio.

And as for Richard Emerson… Well, to put it simply: he is a hero.  As someone who pushed traditional styles and hoppy beers in the early years of this craft beer wave.  As someone who basically kicked off the popularity of seasonal beers in New Zealand, and certainly influenced what we’re doing with Yeastie Boys.  As one of the most passionate and intelligent beer lovers I have ever met.  As a creative brewer and a savvy businessman.  He deserves all the success he has got and I’m sure his team of workers and shareholders will reap much of that also.  Transferring $15m (or whatever it might be) into your bank account must be a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of your brewery.  Congratulations, I say.

ps. I'd say Mac's were far better once they were taken over by Lion.

That’s not to say they are now but… Copperhop, AroMac, Malt Mac, Wicked Blonde, Sassy Red, Hop Rocker, Verboden Vice, Great White… all lovely beers, all created long after Lion purchased the company.

Do you think this is how it's going to be, Stu? In order to exist long term will craft breweries have to sell up or make a Moa-style IPO? 

Consolidation is the hallmark of young, thriving and growing industries just starting to hit their stride.

It's only just started in the NZ craft beer industry but I believe it's a healthy sign for craft beer in general as there's usually a heap of activity in the smaller operations underpinning the moves by the larger interests.

I used to work at a very successful small tech startup in the late 90's that sold to a large US company - the experience taught me that any NZ company that entertained thoughts of a successful exit had to consider this outcome as an option.

Consolidation hasn't happened in the US craft beer industry, and given the high barriers to entry (plant, permits, taxes) and the tendency of the big players to limit innovation I'm not convinced that it's so positive to see it happening here.

Are you sure about the US industry not experiencing consolidation? Sam Caligione remarks in his book how he's resisted selling out - it certainly sounded like he'd had a fair few offers.

As I've mentioned many times today, look into AB InBev and Goose Island. Having tasted the beers in Chicago before and after the acquisition, I can't say I've noticed any quality drop, and the beers are now available all over the USA. It's a great thing. Consolidation has and is continuing to happen in the USA.

So many doomsayers. Why is big bad? Shouldn't it be all about the flavour? I'm with Stu 100%. Here's to Richard and co. Well done!

One brewpub out of 2000 independent breweries isn't consolidation. If AB InBev bought Sam Adams we'd be in the same ballpark, I think. And it's not just about the flavour, but personality, independence, and buying local. That does matter, to me at least. 

I can understand the limits of the NZ market and the need for an exit strategy. I can imagine getting to that point where growth is both necessary and too risky. But I'm surprised that the NZ craft brewers are so openly supportive of this, given that history tells us that caution is warranted. And even if it all works out for Emerson, what does it mean for the craft part of the industry as a whole? You can't all sell out to the big two, surely, so what are you going to do when the biggest craft brewers have sold out and Lion and DB are no longer interested?

You make a good point about if the big two buy into too large a share of the craft market and that results in a more restrictive entry into the market for new small micro craft breweries getting into the market. Again I hope the growth Emerson sees is offshore with Lion's distribution network reducing the cost to export and open up their existing customers in other countries

There have been many more than that. Goose Island were just the first to spring to mind. There was a really good doco on the guys who created Blue Moon. Apparently they were stoked with how AB just left them alone to get on with brewing, and focused on distribution. I know a certain Hamilton based brewer who LOVES Blue Moon for the simple well made refresher it is.

Because Stu is wrong. Macs and Montheiths dropped in flavour profile and became so ordinary.

He's a point to consider: How many people spent a token on Macs or Montheiths beer at Beervana this year??

I think you might be confusing Doomsayers with Bereavement (for the potential loss of good craft beers).

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service