Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I am wanting to brew a summer style ale and want to get a product that is as citrus-ey as possible (without actually adding oranges!). I figure the hop selection will be critical here, so was wondering if anyone could suggest a couple of varieties that would suit. After a bit of little research on this, Cascade seems to be cropping up as a hop with citrus overtones but I am not too keen for an APA style this time round though. I really want one that tastes a bit like the old Emersons Maris Gold, which was one of my favorite drops before it was discontinued and had very pronounced citrus flavors. Also, any advice on the yeast? Was thinking my London Ale would be good, but also have an APA yeast too... Thanks.

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pacific Hallertau sounds like it should be what you're after - http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/pacific_hallertau.html

Didn't do it for me but Styrian Goldings in large lumps work ok
Hi Daj

actually mate, your yeast selection will have a huge say in this respect. The new wyeast cutoff is not far away. You could buy a good yeast and propogate it?

You might like to look at the saison yeasts or perhaps ringwoods. Having said that, the yeasts you mention will do the job. Why the aversity to adding citrus skins? I would throw in a handfull of skins, 10 minutes from end of boil, if thats the flavour you are looking for. Just filter them out when you pour it into the fermenter.
Hello, sorry to jump in here, but as someone who's about to come to NZ and is a homebrewer, what is the wyeast cutoff?
The cut-off date for the latest shipment.
Cascade, Riwaka, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin (careful though).
I found the Maris Gold citrus tones came from the yeast. I cultured some from a few bottles and managed to get the same citrus flavour in different batches, independent of hops. Wish I knew what yeast they used...

+1 for Pacific Hallertau
Any chance the Maris Gold uses cali ale wlp001? In the past i have gotten citrusy notes from this yeast when pitching and fermenting around 16. also like others have said i have also had very citrus flavour from whole leaf Pacific Hallertau infact that is why i have change to Hallertau Aroma for my light ales (psedo lagers) and its still in the fermenter so i cant comment about the Hall Aroma yet
Hall Aroma is more lime to my tastes, been using it in some ok NZ Draughts & light lagers

http://www.nzhops.co.nz/varieties/nz_hallertau.html
I recently made a saison with wyeast 3944, its very citrus like, I did add the zest of 2 oranges though, so cant say how much comes from where.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service