Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thanks to all for an excellent turn out in February and to Hallertau for hosting. For the first time ever, we had a tie for third place. So we made up a rule to deal with it: The two brewers sharing third, had to negotiate between them for the next style. 

Therefore, everyone can thank (or not) Bret and Dan for choosing the next style: Belgian Tripel. Style guide follows from the Brewer's Association. They are American based so don't blame me for the spelling.

Tripels are often characterized by a complex, sometimes mild spicy character. Clove-like phenolic flavor and aroma may be  evident at extremely low levels. Yeast-generated fruity esters, including banana, are also common, but not necessary. These  pale/light-colored ales may finish sweet, though any sweet finish should be light. The beer is characteristically medium and clean in body with an equalizing hop/malt balance and a perception of medium to medium high hop bitterness. Traditional Belgian Tripels
are often well attenuated. Brewing sugar may be used to lighten the perception of body. Its sweetness will come from very pale malts. There should not be character from any roasted or dark malts. Low hop flavor is acceptable. Alcohol strength and flavor 
should be perceived as evident. Head retention is dense and mousse-like. Chill haze is acceptable at low serving temperatures. Traditional Tripels are bottle conditioned, may exhibit slight yeast haze but the yeast should not be intentionally roused. Oxidative 
character if evident in aged Tripels should be mild and pleasant.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.070-1.092 (17-22 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010-1.018 (2.5-4.5 ºPlato) ● 
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.6-8.0% (7.0-10.0%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 20-45 ● Color SRM (EBC) 4-9 (8-18 EBC

Once again we will meet at Hallertau, 3:00 for judging (if you would like to be considered for judge, please let me know). Please bring two bottles (one for judging, one to share with the rest of us). You are also encouraged to bring other examples of your homebrew to share, or offer up for comments, suggestions, envy..... 

Views: 1038

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, Barbara, first time for me, I got some really good feedback and tasted some fine examples of the style (alas not the winning one), thanks very much. I hope to attend again.

I am rebrewing my recipe with some changes and wonder if I can pick the brains of some of the tripel brewers here....

The night before the comp I got a bottle of St. Barnabus Tripel to see how it compared (and nearly chickened out, were as far apart as Auckland and Belgium).

The obvious changes I will make is not to add minerals to my water (the SB was very soft/ mine is a bit harsh) and to tweak the grain bill, just a little.

But the character I just can't seem to nail in all my Belgians I think comes from the yeast and/or fermentation.

Almost all commercial Belgians I have tasted have a musty/vinous aroma that is hard for me to explain better. I am using the Leuven Pale (Wyeast 3538-PC) becuase I started with BPAs.

I start all my ales low (18c) and let them climb to 22c over a week, I know I would get more esters (and maybe phenols) with a higher ferment but will this give that mustiness or do I just need a different yeast?

Or does it come from some other part of the process (i.e. age)? or do I need to be a Monk?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Hey Steve,

Here's the winning recipe. Doublehoppy thinks it was more of a Belgian Golden Strong. I think he's half correct... but thanks to the judges anyway. I hope most of you managed a drink on me afterwards. The tab disappeared pretty quickly!

21L - percentages are by weight.

81.5% Weyermann Pilsner

4.1% Weyermann Cara-Pils (very unauthentic!)

6.3% table sugar (at end of boil)

8.2% table sugar (added in two additions, 1/3rd and 2/3rds into fermentation)

20 IBU Northern Brewer hops at 60m

7 IBU Czech Saaz at 10m

90m boil.

Pitched Wyeast 3787 (at 17C, quantity grown by starter to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html recommendations). NO oxygenation, just shaking. I'd recommend oxygenating if you are set up for it.

Let climb naturally, and finished at 25C, raised to 26C for 48 hours after fermentation complete. Crash cooled, kegged with gelatin finings. Aged 6 weeks. Well, sortof aged. I drank half before I went to the USA for two weeks... ;)

OG. 1.081

FG. 1.012

Est. ABV - 9.1%

Force carbed to 3.5 atmospheres.

If I was brewing it again, I'd oxygenate, and also start the yeast at 19C for a little more ester. I'd probably up the IBUs a little also, as I felt it was slightly too sweet.

Nice Greig, and I hope my Strong Golden comment isn't taken the wrong way by the judges or yourself. Your winning margin was quite comprehensive after all....

I'm pretty pleased with 2nd and I know my beer was too just too full & malty.

Heh, nah I was just teasing! :) I dish it out, you better believe I can take it!

Thanks for the comments (and recipe Greig), I think the conclusion is that it's mostly strain with temp having an influence.

I'll try again with the LPA (due to budgetary issues) and start at 18 as usual but let it go up a bit faster. Matt's right though, the LPA strain is quite bland by comparison.

I tried to culture from the St. Barnabus but it just won't fire. I did a sucessful culture from the Nota Bene a while back, with just a LDME, lightly hopped. Tried it yesterday and is the right yeast flavour but other bugs in there have made it also very sour. hard to know which cultures are dominating after 9 months.

Think I'll have to stump up for new yeast... will finish out my run with Irish ale yeast first though.

As an afterthought.... I still have 50+ oz of dried homegrown saaz. I've brewed pilsner with and think it's around 3%AA. Anyone want to swap some for yeast. I think I'll struggle to get through my hops before next march, unless I get back into Belgians.

Where are you Steve - I've got some pretty fresh WY 3522 (Ardennes) just now.  You're welcome to some if you want it.

Wow, thanks. Auckland. Could send courier pouch and ice pack if you're not.

I dont need much.

Cheer,

Steve

I'm in Auckland too.  I'm racking off the cake over the next couple of days so I'll collect a jar of slurry for you.

Sweet, thanks. Want a bag of hops or two? I have in 3oz bags.

Sure - thanks.  PM sent

Just picking up on your finishing gravity below Steve - this lot of 3522 just brought a 1079 Golden Strong down to 1011.  I can't say I'm too diligent with oxygenation - just a 3 minute shake before pitching - so hopefully a different yeast could help get yours down far enough to crisp it up.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service