Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thanks to all for an excellent turn out in February and to Hallertau for hosting. For the first time ever, we had a tie for third place. So we made up a rule to deal with it: The two brewers sharing third, had to negotiate between them for the next style. 

Therefore, everyone can thank (or not) Bret and Dan for choosing the next style: Belgian Tripel. Style guide follows from the Brewer's Association. They are American based so don't blame me for the spelling.

Tripels are often characterized by a complex, sometimes mild spicy character. Clove-like phenolic flavor and aroma may be  evident at extremely low levels. Yeast-generated fruity esters, including banana, are also common, but not necessary. These  pale/light-colored ales may finish sweet, though any sweet finish should be light. The beer is characteristically medium and clean in body with an equalizing hop/malt balance and a perception of medium to medium high hop bitterness. Traditional Belgian Tripels
are often well attenuated. Brewing sugar may be used to lighten the perception of body. Its sweetness will come from very pale malts. There should not be character from any roasted or dark malts. Low hop flavor is acceptable. Alcohol strength and flavor 
should be perceived as evident. Head retention is dense and mousse-like. Chill haze is acceptable at low serving temperatures. Traditional Tripels are bottle conditioned, may exhibit slight yeast haze but the yeast should not be intentionally roused. Oxidative 
character if evident in aged Tripels should be mild and pleasant.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.070-1.092 (17-22 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010-1.018 (2.5-4.5 ºPlato) ● 
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.6-8.0% (7.0-10.0%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 20-45 ● Color SRM (EBC) 4-9 (8-18 EBC

Once again we will meet at Hallertau, 3:00 for judging (if you would like to be considered for judge, please let me know). Please bring two bottles (one for judging, one to share with the rest of us). You are also encouraged to bring other examples of your homebrew to share, or offer up for comments, suggestions, envy..... 

Views: 1038

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't one of the tripel brewers, but I'll hopefully be of some help. Your fermentation schedule looks pretty good. I think your issue would be in part due to the yeast strain. The Leuvan pale ale yeast is alot more restrained and neutral than many other belgian strains. Look for a strain that's described as being more characterful and see what difference it makes. From there you can also experiment with a higher end temperature in your rising fermentation schedule to see what effect that has, some strains can be pushed up to the high 20s to encourage more of that belgian funkyness. It pays to keep them reasonably low at the beginning of fermentation to restrict hot fusel alcohols etc.

3787 is the Westmalle strain

Yes to low at start, especially with big amount of simple sugars. Not a fan of those fusels.

I usually let it go high as ferment is finishing up (so I reach my target FG) but will play with raising up earlier.

How about water? I'm thinking not to adjust water for pale styles, we have nice soft water, why change it? Perhaps with dark beers it still helps the ph.

Oh yeah, forgot the water treatment. Hamilton water profile is medium-soft. I added 3g of gypsum. No other additions. Kept it reasonably soft, just wanted the hops to bith a little more adding to the dry impression. Sadly, lack of oxygenation led to higher than planned finishing gravity, putting the kibosh on that plan! :)

I think Auckland's North is med-soft also, or more towards soft. I added 3gm gypsum but also 2g bicarb and 1.5ml calc cl. I won't do that again.

Your FG was way drier than mine (1.018), also from lack of oxygenation. I only had 9% simple sugars though. It just wouldn't go any further but I feel it's dried out in the 5 months in the bottle (doesn't seem sweet to me & judges said "nice and dry").

I forgot to ask about phenols, a couple of judges commented on band-aid (but added "didn't detract too much"), is that bad, and what causes it? I don't use chlorine to sanitize.... perhaps the overuse of minerals?

More often unhealthy yeast, yeast outside its "happy zone", and/or infections.

Anyone heading over there from the upper north shore (Browns Bay) this afternoon and who could give me a lift in one direction. My wife doesn't mind dropping me off or picking me up but would prefer not to have to do both. I was planning to be there for about 2.30pm to get my finely-honed judge's palate warmed up.

you still need a ride ? 

Did the next style get discussed by chance? I'm keen to finally get involved next time.

Oh awesome, thanks!

Would that be the classic rauchbier or a wider category of any smoked beer?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service