Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be interested as well but I have only come across tips for the Tall Poppy on the net... Hopefully someone has had a crack.

Yeah I've seen that part of it but how do you work out the munich, crystal, caramalt ratio? Then there's the hops... is it an equal ration of NS/ MOT/ South Cross? Is NS or SC used as bittering or all 3? If anyone's had a crack, it would be good to have a look at their attempt and have something to start/ deviate from :-)

It's definitely got some Munich (maybe 5-10%?), maybe some crystal 40 (it's fairly dry so probably more Munich than crystal). As far as hops go, bitter with Southern Cross or Pacific Jade then add a bunch of Motueka and NS at flame-out and dry hop, maybe a ratio of 2-1 Mot to NS. This is what I've done in clones and it gets reasonably close, although it's hard to nail the exact flavour. Freakin fantastic beer!

Great Mark... that's a big help... may not be the same but sure will be tasty. What bitterness level should the aim be... I find that when I late hop & dry hop the bitterness still goes off the roof (even though there's not meant to be much hop utilisation).

90% Gladfield

6% Munich

2% Crystal

2% Caramalt

Not sure on hops but will think about that and come up with something.

It's an awesome beer!

Stoke Bomber Biscuit Lager. Purchased a couple of bottles after the brewery tour and only recently indulged.

A really nice beer, anyone care to take a stab are a recipe I could use to brew something like it? It is listed as a Dunkel on ratebeer, but not having tried a commercial Dunkel I have nothing to compare to. I do get the impression it might be on the light end of the scale for that style.

I think its pretty well on target for a Dunkel. The taste is something else tho.

As for a recipe I could only guesstimate... find a well rated Dunkel and replace the Vienna malt with Biscuit malt.  Hop with something noble I think (East Kent and maybe Northern)....  20-25 IBUs.

Thanks Grant. Do you think I could get away with a pilsner as a base malt and then another malt to add the biscuit notes? I ask because I plan to get a 25Kg sack of grain this week but it might have to cover both dark and light lagers(here is hoping they will split two sacks:-).

Yep.. Pilsner Malt would be a good base malt for any Dunkel / lager / pilsner. It your other malts (Biscuit, Munich, Caraxxxxx, etc) that will darken and flavour the beer (apart from hops).

I even use Pilsner malt as the base malt for an Ale or two.

I'm looking to do a Scottish Oatmeal Stout-

OG - 1.053

IBU - 29.6

83% Maris Otter

5% Chocolate Malt

5% Crystal 150EBC

5% Rolled Oats

2% Roasted Barley

45g Goldings @ 90mins

I am going to pitch directly onto a my current beers cake bed of WLP 028 Edinburgh Ale Yeast. I am just wondering if this will be ok or if i will end up over pitching. I currently have a 80/- fermenting. It had an OG of 1.044 and i used a 1.2L starter with it. Will there be too much yeast or do i not need to worry about it??

Definitely overpitching, and that's why you should give me a jar of slurry ;-)

Seriously though, you probably only need 150ml or so for the stout.

I was searching the "Yeast" book about pitching onto an existing cake but couldn't find anything. After i posted this i then searched through Gordon Strongs "Brewing Better Beer" and he suggests not pitching onto yeast cake because of the trub etc. He recommends washing it then pitching straight in to the new wort. So i am happy to drop off a jar of whatever slurry i have left over.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service