Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sweet. Are you entering your Tripel in the WBC?

ha, I am too precious about it as theres only 8 bottles left and they are 750's.  there is no way im parting with two of my babies for the comp :-)  The upcoming comp is for AMerican/NZ IPA anyways.

I figured mine would be too young to enter - it'll only be just carbed and pretty raw around the edges - I'm a bit wary of inflicting rough beer on discerning brewers. 

Mind you I would be keen to hear comments and try other's Tripels - would have to bring the little tackers out to Hallertau for the arvo though while my wife's at work.

Glad to hear! I thought it would.

It's a really nice yeast, and pretty versatile. After trying McChouffe I'm really keen to give a Belgian scotch ale with 3522 a go too.

Now thats an idea....I'll be harvesting the yeast cake and looking for the next "3522 project" after a wee while off for a couple of other brews.  I'll keep an eye out to see if you post on this.

I've found that yeast is pretty big in terms of attenuation. I've brewed two batches with it, mashed at 149 for 90 minutes both times. 1 beer started at 1.082 and finished at 1.006, the other at 1.070 and finished at 1.002! Both did have 15% dextrose though and high fermentation temperatures for the last 3rd of fermentation. I think it might be pitching rate dependent, I seriously overpitched on the second beer due to laziness and worries about sanitation and yeast health. Not sure I'll try that again, 1.002 is a little too dry for my tastes!

Thats promising for this one taking laid back approach to life..lol. 

When did you add your dextrose?  How long was your total ferment and what temp did you keep it at for the last third of the time? 

My pitch rate could have been low as I split a yeast cake from a previous BPA in two for these two beers - I stored the yeast for a day at fridge temps and according to MrMalty I had enough for both - but maybe I got the count wrong.

Both look like nice recipes Tilt, might have to try them once my workshop is free again.  I have the Farmhouse Saison, should be very nice with that grist.

We ran a huge batch of cider this weekend and we took off 25 litres and pitched the belgian yeast into that.  Gave them the nose test next to each other and they seemed quite nice so worth a pop :)  240 litres of good stuff bubbling next to it!

I'd agree Liam - Saison yeast with those would definitely be worth a crack. 

I reckon the accentuated fruitiness as compared with the phenols/ spice of the Ardennes would bring another dimension - happy to compare and contrast mine with yours if you're keen at some stage down the track.

Mate - and I'm just in awe of that 260L apple juice bounty at yours - the workshop must smell like a ripe Normandy orchard right now - fantastic.

I pitched 3711 french saison into 23L of apple juice during the first run of Richard's press. It is still bulk aging (will bottle for spring/summer), but it worked very well. I have coined the name Saider (TM) (C).

Definitely up for a tasting sessions Tilt!  Not much saison left in the fridge though, we burned through quite a bit of beer while we made the cider...  It does smell pretty good, even to my nose.

Raffe you are a genius mate!  Saider!

Cider with wine yeast, Wider?

Cool - sounds good. I reckon my recent Belgians'll need a couple of months kept cool at least to settle down.  Just right for a mid winter tasting.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service