Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thanks to all for an excellent turn out in February and to Hallertau for hosting. For the first time ever, we had a tie for third place. So we made up a rule to deal with it: The two brewers sharing third, had to negotiate between them for the next style. 

Therefore, everyone can thank (or not) Bret and Dan for choosing the next style: Belgian Tripel. Style guide follows from the Brewer's Association. They are American based so don't blame me for the spelling.

Tripels are often characterized by a complex, sometimes mild spicy character. Clove-like phenolic flavor and aroma may be  evident at extremely low levels. Yeast-generated fruity esters, including banana, are also common, but not necessary. These  pale/light-colored ales may finish sweet, though any sweet finish should be light. The beer is characteristically medium and clean in body with an equalizing hop/malt balance and a perception of medium to medium high hop bitterness. Traditional Belgian Tripels
are often well attenuated. Brewing sugar may be used to lighten the perception of body. Its sweetness will come from very pale malts. There should not be character from any roasted or dark malts. Low hop flavor is acceptable. Alcohol strength and flavor 
should be perceived as evident. Head retention is dense and mousse-like. Chill haze is acceptable at low serving temperatures. Traditional Tripels are bottle conditioned, may exhibit slight yeast haze but the yeast should not be intentionally roused. Oxidative 
character if evident in aged Tripels should be mild and pleasant.
Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.070-1.092 (17-22 ºPlato) ● Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.010-1.018 (2.5-4.5 ºPlato) ● 
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5.6-8.0% (7.0-10.0%) ● Bitterness (IBU) 20-45 ● Color SRM (EBC) 4-9 (8-18 EBC

Once again we will meet at Hallertau, 3:00 for judging (if you would like to be considered for judge, please let me know). Please bring two bottles (one for judging, one to share with the rest of us). You are also encouraged to bring other examples of your homebrew to share, or offer up for comments, suggestions, envy..... 

Views: 1038

Replies to This Discussion

Hi, newbie here, is it open to anyone?

I have a tripel I'd like to bring, what size bottles are preferred?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve and sorry that it's taken so long for anyone to reply.

Yes, this is open to everyone. Most people bring a couple of 750ml bottles but you could get away with 500ml bottles easily. 330ml will still be fine but a big part of this is the sharing and so more is better :)

Thanks Damian, 500ml is what I have. Sharing beer is good, sharing more beer is better. See you there.

Hey all. My schedule these days is way to hectic and I have no time to brew. So I  have some malt that I would like to flick off. Have about 25kg gladfields ale malt and small amounts of different special malts ill throw in with it. Can bring along to comp. Any takers? 

That's no good mate! Anyway, I might be interested in some of your specialties.

I reckon you're an impostor! The real you would never stop brewing! ;)

Everyone ready to rumble for Saturday? :)

Ready and willing!

I should give you all my bank account details so you can deposit the $10 straight into my account!! haha.

See you all there :D

It looks like we are all set for Saturday. Our judges are Martin, Barry, and the esteemed Mr Hallertau, himself - Steve.

By my best guess we have at least 6 beers to be entered. Please try to have these at Hallertau by 3 as we will need to give the lounge over to another party at 5:30.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!!

I've an entry as well - thought I'd better since I jointly chose the style

You other people may as well not even enter seeing how Doublehoppy is.

Bwwaaahahaha - trash talk all you want - I'll take it all :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service