Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

A big thank you to the judges yesterday Neil Miller and Matt Warner from Parrot Dog brewing and attendees, Lee Jackson came in third so has chosen Black IPA for the next style, Andrew Cherry was in second and in first was myself.  Here is the style guidelines for Black IPA, bring it on I say!!

American-Style Black Ale

American-style Black Ale is perceived to have medium high to high hop bitterness, flavor and aroma with medium-high alcohol content, balanced with a medium body. Fruity, floral and herbal character from hops of all origins may contribute character. The style is further characterized by a moderate degree of caramel malt character and dark roasted malt flavor and aroma. High astringency and high degree of burnt roast malt character should be absent.

Original Gravity (ºPlato) 1.056-1.075 (14-18.2 ºPlato)
Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato) 1.012-1.018 (3-4.5 ºPlato)
Alcohol by Weight (Volume) 5-6% (6-7.5%)
Bitterness (IBU) 50-70
Color SRM (EBC)

35+ (70+ EBC)

Another Interpretation

Black IPA

An emerging beer style roughly defined as a beer with IPA-level hopping, relatively high alcohol and a distinct toasty dark malt character. Typically lacks the roastiness and body of a strong stout and is hoppier than a strong porter. Expressive dry-hopping is common. Also called India Dark Ale, India Black Ale, Cascadian Dark Ale, Dark IPA, and sometimes India Brown Ale.

Views: 1115

Replies to This Discussion

I'm intererseted to know what American-Style Black Ale means to us home brewers.

How does it compare to other styles:

- An American IPA with additional roasted malts?

- A hoppy, bitter Robust Porter?

- An American Stout?

- Or is it simply American-Style Black Ale.  Period!

Should it have a Black Malt and/or Roasted Barley character or just Chocolate?

Are YeastieBoys PKB or Croucher's Patriot good examples of this style?

What do you think?

Hmmmm Not sure really, the way I see it, a bit of a Hybrid to me the style shouldnt be roast malt focussed as that would tend to lean towards a American styled stout as they tend to Roast and Hop focused with an acrid kick, the style as described shouldnt be acrid so for me it should be fairlly caramally with just a hint of roast just to darken the beer and add complexity.

I dont think PKB fits into US Black IPA as it's just not Hoppy enough its more of a Robust Porter. I dont think anyone here has commercially made a Black IPA that is readly avalible to the NZ market, so I think you would have to hunt one out and see for yourself?

For me croucher patriot hits the nail on the head. When I brew it I'm adjusting an apa recipe to include some darker roast malts for flavour and colour. How you get there is up to you and part of the challenge I reckon. I think most of all it should be drinkable like an apa is.

I agree. Croucher Patriot is phenomenal. I can't believe it took me so long to discover it!

OK, so if someone was to enter this... how do we do so?

Turn up on the day with the said beer in hand, order a pint and give the beer to the steward with ten bucks, sit down and drink your pint and talk beer bollocks to the other attendees!! its that easy!! After an hour of judging drinking and absorbing beer knowledge we tally the scores, top score wins and scoops the prize money.

oh wow that sounds awesome! so no entry forms required to fill in beforehand?

No way! that sounds to hard, this is a pint and bragging rights type of comp

awesome. im so in! might start one in the next few days after I bottle my Belgian Wit... I only have one fermenter cos im poor :( haha

Sounds like a plan... I better start drinking , thinking , then brewing

what time do you kick off, as its also JJ's 50th at the Parrot n Jigger on the 19th

Judging starts @ 4pm, Shit drunk my last one so need to brew another!! Opps

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service