Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey James, how did this brew turn out? I've got some wai-iti to play around with and nutting out what's the best way to go with this. Cheers

Brewed a (hopefully) dry Saison for summer, shooting for about 1.050 and 30 IBUs. Hoping that the alledged lime character in the wai-iti complements the flavours from the yeast.

3.80 kg Pilsner

0.45 kg Biscuit Malt

0.30 kg Wheat

0.10 kg Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC)

0.20 kg Honey

60 min boil

19.00 g Green Bullet 60.0 min

25.00 g Wai-Iti 20.0 min     

12.50 g Wai-Iti 10.0 min

12.50 g Wai-Iti 0.0 min

French Saison 3711

i used wai iti in a brew added late in boil, has lots of fruitiness i reckon passionfruit

put down my first kolsch on saturday: chad's kolsch

first time with liquid yeast, now bubbling nicely at 14deg seems wierd to have it down that cold! Ive got a good feeling about this one

That's a nice beer that.  

I'd recommend upping the mash temp a degree or two though, I found it was a little thin and watery after the raspberries had fermented out.

Denim - Good to see you back.  Did you take any steps to sterilise the fruit?

Uhhh...hard to remember now but I don't think so. 

Either way, I know I got a little mold in the fermenter, bottles didn't seem to overcarbonate or pick up any off flavours, and I'm still alive to tell the tale ;-)

I got the same mold with my last fruit beer, a thin white film (not as grunty as a brett pelicle though) which also hasn't picked up any off flavours.

Looks good Darren.  

If you don't want to bother with secondary you can just add the fruit to primary.  I always bag the fruit in a sterilised steeping bag and add them to primary after one week.  I sterilise the steeping bag by boiling it in water for 15 min prior to use.  I always treat the fruit by giving it a 15min steep in 80C water before adding to the beer in the hope of sterilising it.

The last time I did this I blended the fruit (boysenberries) first.  When I removed the steeping bag all that was left in the bag was the seeds.

Sounds good bro, that's a good mash temp, let us know how it turns out.

Trying to brew something like rewired, which is by far the nicest brown ale I've had.

5kg Marris Otter

250g Wheat

200g Caramalt

250g Crystal 80

100g Brown

100g Pale Choc

90g Choc

20g Rakau 60 min

40g Rakau 10 min

40g 0 min

US05

Small amount of CaCO3 added to mash

OG 1060

41 IBU

18 SRM

I'm guessing quite a bit from the website description, and filling in the blanks with what's on hand. Not an exact clone, but hopefully it gets close.

Shit yeah, that is such a nice beer!

Have a look for Tasty McDoles Brown recipe (should come up if you search for it), It make a very nice brown that is along the lines of rewired. I have brewed a version of it that was damn good. Tastys recipe will have US hops, but you can sub whatever NZ ones you think would work.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service