Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Does anybody know if there is someone who makes conical fermentors on the homebrewer scale in nz? or does anyone have expereince with ordering these from overseas? what sort of prices etc

Views: 21791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for looking into this Liam - great options without the high set up costs of imported versions (and an easier yeast harvesting). For mine I'd say:

1. No need for carbonating in the FV.  Gas transfers would be useful though.
  2. I'd make a stand (that fits in my ferm fridge)
  3. 35L (perhaps 70L depending on cost)
  4. Sounds good.  I'd probably want a 1/2" hole in the lid - but would drill it out myself so no probs

Thanks for the feedback guys thats really appreciated, the pm's too.  I do appreciate that the $$$ is a key factor in a lot of the answers but I don't want to post that it will be $100 if it turns out to be $150.  If I was going to use a made up figure and the tank was $100 in its current format and will take 5psi the lid with come in at an additional $75.  Pretty expensive to me.  I'll look at a simpler model I think that will maintain a positive c02 pressure so the beer can be pushed out under pressure without all the reinforcing.

The basic cost of manufacture for the stand is about the same cost of the tank in its current state which is more than the cost of a sheet of 12mm ply and timber for making a simple table stand.  Looks the business though :)

Hopefully I will get these addressed in the next couple of weeks (difficult with the long weekends and having to take time out drinking and making beer) and put up some images and a price guide for more detailed feed back.

I'm also looking to have a basic stainless option at the same time :p 

Looking promising at this stage.

Sounds great, I'm looking for a conical. Would definitely be interested in a 70 litre .. Keep up the good work.

I have finally got a stainless steel conical from the US. They sell on ebay for US$300 with a stand, but the packaged thing would cost US$165 to post to NZ, so I had a plan to get it brought back as excess baggage for NZ$50, but AirNZ have size limits, so I asked the seller and found that without the stand, it would be small enough, and he would sell it for US$175 without the stand. (The reason that the stand makes it so big is that the stand extends above the top to allow it to be clamped down).

As it happened, no excess baggage was charged, nor any GST (a very helpful customs man) which was amazing as the passenger had way over the personal allowance already without this.

So I have made a simple wooden stand, and made a clamp for the lid by extending one of those v-band clamps they use on large paint tins. (it will hold about 10 psi, so fine for the 3-5 psi I use for kegging).

(This was already in progress before Liam said he was going to get some made here.)

The quality is fine, the main welds polished out, and the threadless taps are good too. The lid is just flat sheet and would be easier to seal if it was even slightly domed.or reinforced.

and even better it fits in ya fridge! I am currently searching trademe for a fridge big enough to fit my 60L Farra but not having much luck yet.

I made the legs longer at first to make room for the tube off the bottom valve, but had to cut the legs, and drill a hole in the shelf so the tube drops into the "salad drawer" area. I think I'll have the airlock outside the fridge too as there's not much room up top.

You might be able to use a small chest freezer with the lid removed and an insulated "cupboard" in place of the lid.

Don't give up ralph. I just found one that fits my 60L Farra (although not with its presure gauge top). Its a fisher & paykel 450L fridge, not sure of its model number though. Might be able to find it if you need it.

nah, don't worry about the model number. Any trademe idiot selling a fridge will never know the model number anyway!!

A picture may help tho?

picture coming soon

Have you got a link ,Im looking for a new fermenter

This one was ebay item 300611009220, but you might like to wait and see what Liam comes up with (see earlier in this thread).

That looks mint Smiffy and a great price too!  Green with envy here mate!  You just need a walk in chiller now :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service