Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  The biggest problem will be oxidation but the hops will mask it reasonably well.  I doubt it will be awesome but it might be good enough to make you consider doing it again when time is limited and beers supplies are low.  Happens to me all the time :)

The '05 version will be ok I reckon, done a few similar myself but with Motuka.

The Real Ale kit is quite tasty. Especially when young I reckon

Some kind of Saison.

85% Pilsner

15% Wheat Malt

0.something% chocolate for colour

OG 1.053

Saaz to 25ibu

Wyeast 3711 French Saison (helpfully hand delivered from the USA)

Currently fermenting at 30-32 deg.

I'm slightly excited.

Nice!

Did an awesome saison in November. 

Dont have the numbers in front of me but mostly nz pilsner, a bit of wheat malt, a bit of munich and a tiny amount of caramunich. 

Used Hallertauer to 35 IBU (rager)

Used Wyeast 3726

Started at OG1.055 ended at 1.006

FANTASTIC beer.  Really awesome. Its already in line for a rebrew. It didnt last very long

It would be interesting to do a split batch and see how the various Saison and Biere De Garde yeasts compare... could call for a beer swap.

I've only brewed a half batch (11L) to see how it goes, so I guess I'll be harvesting the yeast for the next batch.

Yeah i thought i grabbed some yeast out of mine, but clearly i was dreaming or something. Sucks cause its an awesome yeast, and one of the private colection strains. So i cant readily get it again.  Oh well.

Will try it again with a different saison yeast for sure. Might do a split with the Belgian and French saison yeasts.

It's currently at 1.000 after 4 days... I guess it's finished.

Another little darkie, though this one is more of a brownie.
80% GP
15% dark crystal
5% mixed choccies and a handful of black
Sauvin to bitter, cascade, motueka and sauvin at power off
A rework of the weemix with the emphasis on the motueka and backing off the sauvin, I can see I'm going to get some milage out of working on this recipe
W1099 instead of Windsor, as I was disorganised this week
Botched up the batch sparge addition I think and I got more volume, less gravity, only 1032 not 1034
Took a look at this tonight, it's lost the kausen it had this morning so I took a hydro sample (aka a taster) 1032 to 1014 so its not far off where it could finish, gravity wise.
A bit murky with yeast, but there's a smoothness I don't think I had with Windsor inthe same recipe
The krausen had dropped right back, this is quicker than I'd anticipated.
So I dry hopped, 25gm Motueka. Used some lint free stocking. Might not impart as much to the beer as free floating but I want to keep the yeast cake as clean as I can for reuse. I can't crash chill and my yeast washing in crap, so I reckoned this was my best option
1010 and tasting great, due to keg tomorrow or Wednesday
I was a bit concerned about how the yeast would be with the hops, but they're coming through nicely.
I think I have the Sauvin balanced nicely, it's there but not overpowering the Motueka, heading where I wanted it to be, feelig quite happy about this one

Sounds like the next bottle for you to bring to share with the North Welly brewers! ;)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service