Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So I am waiting for my first pot (a 31 ltr job of TM from the inlaws) to get my sweet hands on on Xmas day and then I am looking at the BIAB method to start heading towards the All Grain style of brewing. I want to make 20 ltr batches and hope this will be sweet to do in this pot.

I am quite the fan of the Tall Poppy and it would be awesome to head towards that. I have only seen one thread about this but I am still not quite sure how the recipe should go and also what I can use hop-wise as some of the hops are unavailable to me. So far I have only used NS and NZ Cascade after a Toucan that used Amarillo in a Tea bag. 

I am still learning so it would be cool to get ideas or recipes that could take me in this direction.

Cheers

Chris

From searching around the forum here is Glen and Soren talking about Tall Poppy recipe.

by denimglen on September 8, 2009 at 4:06pm

10B American Amber Ale - Silver Medal, 39/50 - "Too hoppy for style - closer to IPA"

Recipe: Red52
Brewer: Glen Simpson
Style: American Amber Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 29.50 L
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 15.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 66.00 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.80 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Bairds) (3.2 SRM) Grain 79.78 %
0.40 kg .Crystal, Pale (Bairds) (50.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.40 kg .Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.20 kg .Crystal, Dark (Bairds) (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.37 %
0.20 kg .Caraamber (Weyermann) (36.0 SRM) Grain 3.32 %
0.02 kg .Chocolate Malt, Pale (Bairds) (275.0 SRM)Grain 0.33 %
16.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 31.5 IBU
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (10 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (0 min) Hops -
1.00 gm .Koppafloc (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs Safale American Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.02 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.99 L of water at 74.4 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 8.00 L of water at 95.3 C 75.6 C

Notes:
------
15g yeast
Water used is Ca -112, Mg - 18, Na - 11, SO4 - 145, Cl - 50, HCO3 - 110
JZ's Recipe with some slight modifications.

Reply by Soren on February 5, 2011 at 9:53pm

Glen's recipe is so spot on it is almost scary:)

From a quick glance, the main difference is that I use about 50% more hops and as he suggest my starting gravity is 1.070. I also dry hop, but that's mainly because in our commercial setup, the beer is whirlpooled and settled, before being taken through the heat exchanger, which in itself takes at least an hour. So, after all this time sitting around at almost 100C the hops will loose a lot of the aromatics. To add some freshness I dry hop it. In a homebrew setting, a hefty flameout addition immidiately before cooling would be good.

Amarillo is the main hop and the 2 batches that has been around for a couple of month has Warrior, Columbus and simcoe, The latest batch I substituted the columbus for centennial.

I use golden promise, munich, 3 shades of crystal and a bit of wheat malt.

I use Wyeast 1272 but US-05 would do, but then I'd mash at around 69C to make sure it doesnt dry out too much. In fact, I think Tall Poppy is a little too dry and I'm trying to tweek it a little fatter. I'm trying to make a double red ale, whereas at the moment I think it's almost 'just' another IPA.

Just a note, 'my' recipe is from Brewing Classic Styles with a change in the hop bill and cara-amber switched for biscuit malt.

Good beer.  Unfortunately finding the hops at the moment might give you some trouble...

Wicked. Of course I rate the Epic range of beers too so might give this a nudge first...

Will try and get close ,or use some other hops, on that Tall Poppy-ish recipe up there thanks!

Just as an aside has anyone used Falconers Flight yet? If so what was it like? Cheers.

This looks like the recipe I posted on AHB a while back based on the BN interview with Luke Nicholas.  Just take note that I "No Chill" so the 100g addition at 0 min is supposed to emulate the two 50g additions with a long whirlpool.  However, instead I just cube the wort 10-20mins after flameout and add the 100g of cascade to the cube and let it cool down naturally.  I estimate the IBUs as a 10-15min boil. 

For the Pale Crystal would it be ok to use a different Crystal (eg medium) and how would I adjust it if this works? I can come across Medium much easier it would seem. If Pale is the only one suitable then, of course, I will run with it.

Cheers

Trying for a blackberry ale, is this going to go horribly wrong? Effectively it's a Belgian Blonde base.

13L(ish) batch

1.5kg Pilsner Malt

0.75kg Torrified Wheat

0.5kg Wheat Malt

1.5kg Blackberries

0.5kg Medium Candi sugar

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 60m

15g Nelson Sauvin @ flameout

T-58 yeast

Process will be to mash (single infusion 68 deg), boil the grain ingredients, and pitch the yeast. Wait 24-36 hours and add the blackberries (boiled, strained) and sugar.

Aiming for 1.090 to 1.100 OG. I'm not sure how much sugar is in blackberries, Beer Calculus comes out at 1.095.

Halfway through making it today. I dropped the torrified wheat back to 0.5kg and the base wort came out at 1.054. I had a bit of an accident syphoning, so i've only got 7.5L of base wort. The blackberry syrup is just about finished (just boiling now) will add tomorrow morning, it came out as 2.5L at 1.150. So in total I should have 10L at 1.080.

Bottling it today (it fermented out really fast). It's very tart and has a definite alcoholic taste, we'll see if this mellows. Primed to 3.5 vols. 

Put down a summer quaffing bitter blonde ale today, with ingredients I had to hand.

Size: 24.98 L

Efficiency: 73.0% (lower than I wanted, but meh)

OG: 1.042

Bitterness: 40.8 

Mashed @ 69

4.85 kg Golden Promise Malt

16.0 g Warrior-60m

24.0 g Motueka - 10.0m

20.0 g NZCascade - 10.0m

24.0 g Motueka - 0m

20.0 g NZCascade -0m

22.0 g Centennial - 0m

Ferment with a cup of 3rd gen 1272 @ 17, will rise it up to 21 over the week.

Will decide if I need to dry hop after it's fermented out. Might not need it at such a low gravity.

Gravity is no barrier to dry hopping !

Yeah my bad...

It's just that it's a single malt brew, so might lack the body to support a wack of dry hops. I'll have to wait and see!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service