Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20329

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Epic Thornbridge Stout - I remember my first taste of this really well as it was the second beer I had after getting engaged. The first was Alaskan Smoked Porter, at the Museum Hotel. where my girlfriend had set me up good and proper.  I tried ET Stout about an hour later at the launch at The Malthouse and thought it was waaaaay too young. I mentioned to Luke that it'd be great in 3 months... he didn't think there would be any left but 18 months later there still are a few bottles and it really has reached the potential I could see on the day. One of the best beers I've had this year and I'm glad there is still some out there.  I'm going to buy a few more bottles this week.

Mad props Luke and Kelly!

Hmmm,  there's a whole lot at Moore Wilsons in Masterton, I may need to move in on them.
Radeberger Pilsner - Why did I bother?

Later tonight, the kegs of Dogfish head's Burton Baton and the 120 in IPA will be ready. I wonder if I have the legs to wait?

I am not sure, because the tap with Oskar Blues Ten Fiddy looks promising. I have been hearing good things about it, and reckon a stout would go well right now.

Recently had a colleague's home brewed 'Blonde' fermented with 34/70.  It was an extract with grains & hops beer and was one of the best home brewed lagers I've had.  It tasted like Gisborne Gold blended with Emerson's Pilsner.  

Apparently he fermented it around 16-17C. Anyone else had good experiences with lager yeasts at 'warm' temps?

Sounds a great beer Mr C.
I used a cali common yeast, didn't like the style but i brewed a couple of boarder line temp beers that were ok.

Alternatively an '05 or notts cool are supposed to be good?

Yeah I used 2112 also and although it quite good, it wasn't great and it didn't have the lager character I was after.  I've had good clean ferments will cool ale ferments but although they're clean, they just aren't lagery.

Having said that, my next beer will likely be a summer ale with Nottingham at 16C.

I thought it was ok in the 14 to 16 range, just didnt do anything for me any warmer.
I think the nottingham will be good, used it a bit warmer than that lately and good for pale blonde, even if that wasn't what i wanted !
Having said that, had a beer with chris on sunday and said that i was looking forward to an '05 brew
I've been thinking of the same thing recently - mostly fuelled by this thread on AHBer. I'd have to get hold of some S189 but it sounds like there are good results to be had.

Just had the new Garage Project beer "Day of the Dead"

A chilli chocolate stout..... It's a winner!!!! I could happily drink that sucker all winter long.  :o)

Having a mini Anchor tasting with some beers from Regionals.  The S team beer; I am just not as impressed as this as I used to be.  I think it might be because the first time I had it was in the early days of pale ales and hoppy beers and it was something special.  These days, I find it a little bland.  

Humming Ale: interesting in that it is a celebration beer, and has NZ Nelson Sauvin that the website calls "very rare and unusual"! He he he...It is a nice, balanced APA.  Not too huge but with a good bitterness.  Not sure I would have picked the Sauvin if I hadn't read it.  Upon knowing, I think it does have a familiar flavour.  Might have to compare it to an NZ example.

Liberty to come...

Chillin with the bro in law from the Uk looks like it's going to be a long night tonight almost finished the Chimay Blue and about to have a few Epic Flying Nuns , had to stash the cellared beers that im trying to save for a special day in the fermentation fridge, will have to sort out a NZ craft beer package for him to take home.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service