Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I've overlooked my 4 packets of s05 in my current infatuation with Windsor and Notts.
The date on the packs is 11/2011 so it's published time is almost up
Now mr Malty tells me that id need 1.5 packets to ferment 25 liters of 1.034 ale

Should I be concerned and
A) measure and pitch the 1.5 packets,
B) say sod it and pitch 1, it's good stuff yea ?
C) be cautious and pitch 2

Any good opinions ?

Cheers, jt

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

B) say sod it and pitch 1, it's good stuff yea ?

I reckon that's still plenty for 25L of 1.034 ale.  Unless you suspect it might be dodgy due to poor storage, etc.

They've been stored in the fridge since I got them 18 months ago.
I often hear people say that unopened it should be good tovor even passed the date
Just thought I'd check as mr Malty hasn't let me down with the repitch
B - If you worry jt, your hair will go from grey to white (like mine). Have used Fermentis well past use by dates & had no worries. I'm sure your storage aint a problem. Still use the odd S04 with good results ; )
I'd like some more hair, regardless of the colour Mr O !

Sounds like B) is the go. Thanks for the feedback chaps

I've been a bit one tracked on Windsor and Notts lately and I miss my old familiar '05 draughts.
Late hopped pale on the cards shortly.

Cheers, jt
Go for it jt...smacked a Sept 10 1098 last night for this weekends brew. Has swelled @ 20deg, so I doubt there will be any problems after making a 2 litre starter.
I would just make a starter today, and have it ready to go on Sunday for pitching.
Starter for a dried yeast ? No, I am using dried yeast because I don't want to make a starter, because my liquid yeast technique is not as consistent and predictable as using dried.

I'm back to 05 after quite a spell on windsor and Notts and some beers just need it and I miss, some of the characteristics of 05 (some might say lack of character)

How's the plans for coming back Michael, all under control ?
So far everything is looking good. My only hope is that everything fits in the container since I have added a kegerator, mash tun, and temp control fridge. I may have to dump the fridge and make something in NZ if I run out of room.

I am planning on making a big pelletised hop purchase and get a certified letter to bring back for MAF. I reckon citra and Amarillo would be nice.

The brewing gear won't be there for a while, but I will bring my bag from Liberty, and my mill. If someone lets me use their brew kettle, I can still get a batch going in the first couple months back!
I'm Glad to hear it got there in ok time.

Thanks Jo. I appreciate it! Although I have gotten used to brewing with a mashtun and all, I still like BIAB for knocking out a quick beer, and when I am waiting for my stuff, BIAB is the only choice!

I am really surprised that BIAB has not taken hold in the US. It is a great step for going to all grain.

"I am really surprised that BIAB has not taken hold in the US. It is a great step for going to all grain."

Couldnt agree with you more mate!! Spread the word over there, get them into it, you never know, there could be a revolution coming ;o) haha

Although, with the cost of stainless steel over in the states, Im not sure if it will ever catch on.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service