Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi folk,

I have been brewing a 'base' ale which I would classify as a best or special bitter. My idea has been so vary aspects of it one stage at a time until I feel I have what I want. The hops I have been using are East Kent Goldings for bittering hops and Fuggles for flavouring hops. That's fine, but since they produce some of the best hops in the world just up the road (we are in Picton) I feel I'd like to substitute local hops for the imported variety.

So I'm wondering what suggestions you all might have regarding the possibilities. I'm thinking along the lines of Nelson Sauvin for the bittering hops, but don't really have any thoughts on the flavouring hops because I don't know enough about our local choices.

Stu McKinlay sent me a bitter recipe some time back which was really a very nice ale and it had Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo.

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They do grow Fuggles here in NZ. You could try those or NZ Styrian Goldings (derived from Fuggles I believe) for your flavour hops. I am pretty new to the game, but have been using both the NZ Fuggles and NZ Styrians and getting some good results.

I dont know what would be comparable to EKG for your bittering hops tho?

Thanks Ralph. Well, as I say, the Nelson Sav - which is good for both bittering and flavouring - yielded a lovely result in the last brew for bittering. I guess I could stick with Nelson Savin for both purposes - so use only one hop for the brew.

I love Riwaka or Motueka. Either are good with some Pacifica too
If your looking for a NZ hop that will be similar in flavor and aroma to fuggles I'd recommend NZ Fuggles, NZ Styrian Golding or NZ Golding. You could also use those hops for bitterring but sauvin will do a good job for bitterring also.
Nelson Sauv for bittering  - NZ Styrians for flavour & Motueka dry hopped - great combo for a Mild
Thanks for the input guys - gives me some brews to experiment with.
Suggestion, look for some beers known for the hops suggested and see what you think
Like try a 3Boys Golden Ale for Sauvin, Booky for Riwaka (or is it Mot ?) etc
What's in the Tuatara Pale Ale or the Renaissance Perfection ?

Guessing those are beers that will have some of the suggestions above and possibly what you're aiming at ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service