Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Who's using this malt and what do you think of it ?

What differences if any, are you picking up with NZ Pils from say, Weyermann or English ?

Would you continue to use it, based on price or results ?

Cheers.

Paul.

Views: 1697

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its my main malt I use and great stuff ,I only live 20 mins away from the Malteurop factory and get a 25kg bag for $60 great price really. I can get a easy 100liters of +5% beer out of a bag, if its NZ pilsen malt it will be Malteurop

Hi - what sort of hops are you using.  I have made several using sazz but hoping to change to all nz ingredients.  WOuld you care to share your recipe.  Cheers

not sure if thats directed at Tim or me ???

I've been trying all Perle recently but have also done Tetnanger.  Both of which I like very much.  I too would like to start using all NZ hops.

Recipe is:

Stella Lite Lager:

All Distilled water for mash and sparge.

5.3 kg NZ Pils

Carapils 80 gms

CaCl x2 teasp into mash

Perle @ 60mins 27gms

Perle @ 10mins 10 gms

Irish Moss@ 10mins

Perle @ 5mins 5 gms

Wyeast Danish 2042. x5 Litre starter (stir plate)

Mash 90 mins

OG 26 L 1.046

Primary 8.0 C

FG 1.006

IBU's 27.9

I don't secondary these days, I leave the primary alone for a week after completion then bottle and bulk prime. Lagering takes place in the bottles, 6 weeks at between 0 and 1 degree C.

I can't spot the Add New Discussion button so I'm tacking it on here:

Anyone in the Waikato interested in exchanging Yeast ? I started a frozen yeast bank three years ago with 5 strains and have added a couple more. I'm interested in adding a few more. Contact me if you're keen.

I like it as a good base malt to work with. If you are brewing ales you might look at blending other malts with it for greater depth of character in the finished beer. I find I get a slightly lower efficiency with Malteurop Pale Malt than I do with Pale Malts like Gladfields, Marris Otter, or Golden Promise.

I also really like the idea working with local ingredients.

Lower efficiency ?
Funny, I use this all the time and I'm happy with my consistent 80% efficiency. Happy with the malt too
Talking to Jo when I decided I needed to try some golden promise, he said that I might notice a drop in the extract from the tf golden promise
So I'm looking at my next recipes with the expectation that I'm only going to get 75% or so

And I second the local ingredients sentiment wholeheartedly

Cheers, jt
It's a very subtle difference - 80% vs 78%. I find they are nearly equal for extraction.
Is that a consistent figure through a few batches ?
I find I get variations as much from a change in method as much as ingredients

Yes - admittedly it's only from a couple of bags of Malteurop against a couple of bags of Gladfields, one of Marris Otter and another of Golden Promise. Since I'm only brewing 50L at a time the efficiency is not so much of an issue as it would be if I were brewing larger batches.

I do get slightly better efficiency from a ramp mash  from 50C up to 70C (for big Belgian ales), but it's a pain to do it and I prefer single-step infusion for most everything else.

Chris, the second time I used MaltEurope Pils was also the first time I used Distilled water for a Pale lite lager. I got a huge jump in efficiency, still not entirely sure why, but I put it down to the distilled water plus some CaCl I added to the mash.
The first time I used ME Pils I got my usual eff.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service