Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anybody tried that brewcraft no rinse sanitizer? I can't get starsan anywhere so im looking for a good alternative. Preferably no rinse like starsan. It just looks like it saves alot of time and hassle.

Thanks

Views: 4720

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely someone like Ecolab, Jasol or Cleantec-nz must also have no rinse sanitisers that they sell which would be good for brewing. 

Cleantec-nz have this Proxitane is a non-foaming Peracetic acid, sanitising liquid. Effective against a wide range of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and their spores as well as yeasts, moulds, fungi spores and viruses. It is recommended for use where a powerful non rinse sanitiser is required.

Jasol have Sanitiser 06

Hydrogen peroxide and peroxyacetic acid. Will not corrode stainless steel plant and equipment under all conditions. HACCP Compliant.Uses: Designed for sanitising in no rinse applications on food processing equipment.

Star san is just a foaming acid based sanitizer using 50% phosphoric acid and about 15% sulphonic acid as active ingredients. New Zealand offers a wide range of options thanks to the dairy industry and all the NZ chemical companies offer low and medium foaming acid sanitisers available through rural supply stores (wrightson, CRT etc) Most have phosphoric acid as the main ingredient and all are obviously food safe and no rinse. Only problem would be the need to buy 20 liters, or have a farmer as a friend (they buy 200L drums!)
They also list on their MSDS that some of the remainding 35% are trade secrets.

100% Sodium Percarbonate on Trademe. This will be the equal of any alkaline cleaner IMO and great price! Will need to be rinsed with an acid sanitizer to neutralize

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Laundry/Other/auction-40702628...

Just my 2c worth here, I read some time ago about the Reinheitsgebot a few years back and it attracted my interest because of the taste of sulphur dioxide I can taste in most wine. I decided I didn't want any chemicals in my beer and since then have used nothing but hot (boiled) water to clean with.

My bottle I only rinse and sit on the window sill in the sun for a day or two, then upside down in the crate. I figure UV is a pretty good steriliser.

I have not suffered a bad bottle of beer from an infection yet. (crossed fingers)

Peroxyacetic/Peracetic acid just breaks down to hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down to water and oxygen, so by using this you're effectively getting a trace amount of acetic acid in your brew. Yeast produce acetic acid naturally, so in theory you're not adding those dreaded "chemicals" to your brew. Except for when you use dihydrogen oxide as your brewing liquor of course :)

EU laws allow residue of PAA in their beer, however, the UK does not. Yet to stop most brewers I know though as it is a great product.

When I worked at DB we used an Iodophor like product. Worked a treat...

Okay thanks for that useful information.

I guess I will keep going with the boiling water method until it burns me:) What I usually do is boil the jug and as soon as it boils I pour than into my fermenter. Then I put the lid on and leave it to steam away for 20mins or so. Smaller items I take the lid off the jug and put them in.

I have read somewhere that it is the steam from the drying cycle in a dishwasher that does the damage.

What do you reckon my UV theory?

Flawed... the brown glass filters UV out of the light spectrum!
Yes epic fail, brown glass absorbs all from 400nm down:(
Sorry mate...

Another good trick for Iodophor is "Double Dilution" - well... that's what I call it.

Do your regular strong sanitise: 15ml per 10L. Then rinse it with a solution of 1.5ml per 10L. The 1st go is enough to kill the bugs in your fermenter, where the 2nd dilution rate is enough to kill the bugs in your water.

It's another sneaky trick bought to you by http://www.libertybrewing.co.nz/content/iodophor-750mls ;)

Man look at this thread, I check my phone and theres 41 emails! about "a relpy to your discussion" haha. Seems opinions pretty divided about Iodophor. Ive already ordered like a 1 batch only sized amount of the stuff for my first all grain brew ( and only my 4th brew all up). Ive got nothing to compare it too, but reading all this and other sites on the net, Iodophor seems pretty safe at the recommended levels. And Jo i wanna say a huge thanks, got my pakage today and that bag is the buisness! Can't wait to use it. Hopefully this Saturaday my first all grain gets done and in the fermenter! Cheers Fellas!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service