Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94592

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers, unfortunately I've got no Motueka in stock, only a bit of Northern Brewer, Styrian Goldings, Pacific Jade and the Green Bullet. I'll be using w34/70.

...and some NZ Cascade...

Styrian Goldings are popular in Lagers. I would either give them a go, or drop the green Bullet down to a bit less that 10gms at 60 and 30 to get more inline with a lager.

Having said this, I would personally like your original recipe, it just won't be 'to style.' Who cares about that? :D

Awesome mate, cheers. I might just stick with the original. Style doesnt really matter as much as drinkability... maybe closer to German Pilsner as far as hopping goes.

Put this down over the weekend for my father for fathers day.

3C Pale Ale

20L batch

1.050O.G

1.014F.G

44IBUS

ABV4.8%

4.5kg Malterop Pilsner malt

.3kg bairds pale crystal

.2kg weyermann carapils

10gm centennial @ 60m

8 gm centennial @ 20min

4 gm chinook @ 20min

2 gm cascade @ 20min

8 gm centennial @ 15min

4 gm chinook @ 15min

2 gm cascade @ 15min

8 gm centennial @ 10min

4 gm chinook @ 10min

2 gm cascade @ 10min

8 gm centennial @ 5min

4 gm chinook @ 5min

2 gm cascade @ 5min

25gm centennial dry hop

US-05 yeast

Hopefully be a nice easy drinking but hoppy number. At least thats the plan.

Nice, very nice. I love Chinook and Cascade in combination. Haven't used Centennial to date, but from what I read it's a popular US hop.
Brewed this one about 4 weeks ago, and I've just cracked the first couple of bottles.
I'm in love, so much body, malt, and just plain enjoyment. Like drinking a liquid dark chocloate cake, just delicious.

Single infusion mash 65ºC for 70 minutes. I've come to the conclusions that for wheats all the talk about acid rests, decoctions etc etc is just that. I think it's unnecessary, and I'm now firmly convinced you can brew a great wheatie with a single infusion mash.

Dunkelweizen 25 litre batch
1200.00 g Wheat Malt, Pale (Weyermann) (3.9 EBC) Grain 7 23.1 %
20.00 g Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC) Grain 11 0.4 %
400.00 g Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 8 7.7 %
1700.00 g Pale Malt, Halcyon (Thomas Fawcett) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 32.8 %
50.00 g Carafa Special II (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 10 1.0 %
1720.00 g Wheat Malt, Dark (Weyermann) (13.8 EBC) Grain 5 33.1 %
100.00 g Chocolate Wheat (Weyermann) (817.5 EBC) Grain 9 1.9 %
21.00 g Hallertauer Tradition [5.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 12.8 IBUs
One cup slurry of yeastcake of Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) from the Hefeweizen previous batch.
OG 1.050    FG 1.010

The recipe includes some odds and ends of various malts I wanted to use up. I didn't have as much Dark Wheat left as I'd wished, but the Vienna and Halcyon make up for it quite nicely.
Nice work Warra, looks awesome. Might have to copy that one down for myself sometime. Been wanting to make a decent DunkelWeisse for a while.

An ESB for me today:

90% Pale Malt

4.3% Pale crystal

2.5% AMber

1.6% Wheat

1% Pale Choc

0.6% Dark Caramalt

Didn't have as much wheat as I thought so filled in the gap a bit with base and the caramalt.

Hops, P Jade for bittering, 34IBU. Styrian Goldings and Target at 15,10,0 and dry hop. Giving Nottingham yeast a go and hoping the hops come through a bit better than s-04.

I reckon you'll have more hop and less yeast character with the Notts compared to the So4 Jacko.
I've brewed comparable recipes with both and found the Notts more to my liking.
Not to say that so4 isn't good, but I just haven't cracked it in a pale, it may be exactly what some people want.
Yeah I've had ok results with s-04 in the english pales but nothing awesome and I always lose the late hops. Hopefully this Notts doesn't finish too low though, I still want some malt body coming through. How have you found the attenuation with Notts?
Well I mash high and have a lot of specialties so I don't tend to finish vey low anyway.
Hope it goes well chap

Cheers jt, was a much nicer brewday than when you were over last time. I almost thought I'd done it again though as after running off 2L the rate dropped right down to eventually a dribble. Gave the grain a stir and recirculated and it seemed to come right after that. Talking to the guys today I think I'll look at making a gauze guard that can go under and over the false bottom pick up. That way if any grain gets in it wont block it right up. I think I'll also try your idea of using a length of tubing cut open to put around the falsie too.

Ended up with 20L of 1.060 wort and Notts is pitched. Fingers crossed I end up with a drinkable English Pale this time, the last few have been far from my best efforts.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service