Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hello everyone.  You may have heard about us (Moutere Brewing Co, the brewing arm of the Moutere Inn) attempting to trademark 'Shandy'. That is, the use of the term on canned, bottled or kegged product.

We're making a point with this application.  We're expecting the application to be turned down in which case Iponz will be treating the little guys and the big guys differently.  If it's accepted there really is something wrong with the system and it's not our intention to limit the use the the word Shandy.

Why Shandy?  Moutere Brewing is trying to remain as authentic as possible to the German heritage of the Moutere Inn and the general area and we'd like to have a Radler.  We can't.

I'll keep you updated on any happenings.

Views: 1645

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Disclaimer: I think that it's crazy that a style of beer is permitted to be trademarked, disagree with the radler trademark, etc..

But won't the Shandy trademark be declined because lots of New Zealanders know what it is? It's the law that's crazy, not IPONZ's interpretation of it.

Why not try something like Oud Bruin to show how buggered the system is? Bet the average kiwi doesn't know about that...

Depends where you're from.  If you're from a German area of NZ the term Radler was known if not used commercially.    The term Shandy is known but not widely used at all commercially.  IPonz have assumed that no one in NZ knew what a Radler was and that's not the case.  They just weren't checking trademark applications weekly.

No one would have known about this application but we chose to let it be known.  It's been in the system for two weeks now.

Ah well, just my thoughts on what's likely to happen. Best of luck to you.
I like shandy. I like my dad liked Shandy too back in mother country.  Why do you have to "own it"? other than the fact to feel clever about TM it first... RE: "No one would have known about this application but we chose to let it be known"... the fact you need to say this makes me suspect you have moral ambiguity about your application.
I saw this when first mooted on the news. I will be following developments with interest.Theoretically after the Radler decision , there should not be any issue preventing your application going through.Unless IPONZ are going to prove to us they really are an inconsistant pack of cockamamie nincompoops....   All the best MBC   ;)

An update today is that DB have welcomed the application.  "fully supports the introduction of innovative products to stimulate the declining beer market".   Not the comment I was expecting, but it does effectively put it back into Iponz's corner.

Iponz will not comment until the application is processed.

lol, I wonder if all of those UK food shops are aware of this? As they are all actively importing 'Shandy' cans into NZ

Youd think that if a product was imported into NZ actively, that it would not be able to be Trademarked?

I guess DB have to "welcome" it otherwise it makes a mockery of their trademarking Radler

Good grief. Moutere Brewing is a contract outfit that doesn't even brew the beer that is trying to trademark. This is going from bad to worse. Leave it alone. 

Haven't witnessed 'a declining beer market.' That's an obvious sign DB's sales figures are looking a little shaky. 

What's wrong with contract brewing? Epic, Yeastie Boys & 8 Wired all contract brew.

Does contract brewing mean Bad Beer?

Do you have to own stainless steel to be a brewer?

dont call yourself 'brewing' then, cause you don't. you get other people to do it. Duh?
We're called "Yeastie Boys Limited". I hope that allays your concerns Martin.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service