Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

My fridge died and I'm thinking of replacing it with a chest freezer for lagers and storage/ dispensing. What do people prefer - a fridge or freezer.

I found that with the last fridge I could only fit 2 kegs in with a gas bottle. I could have removed the butter conditioner and the front door shelves and I might have been able to fit 4. If I wanted to ferment in it there was only space for the fermenter.

Views: 43

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Heya Horace,

I have your bog standard fridge and like you suggested, have removed the butter conditioner and the removeable shelves in the door.
That gives me 4 kegs at a squeeze and all is good except for changing the keg at the back, takes a bit of shuffling, but no drama.

As long as you have room for more kegs than you have taps you should be onto a winner.
I suffer in that I have room for 4 kegs and have 4 taps. I never leave anything to condition long enough.

Go the chest option but watch your back with the lifting
Hi Horace

I would have to say chest freezer for the economic reasons, as they are cheaper to run at 4C than a fridge I have been told. I will be testing that theory after I pick up my chest freezer tonight ($45 on trademe), which will hopefully hold the kegs and fermenters, if not I'll keep the fridge for summer months! :)
My new purchase is a chest freezer, 71cm w X 60 d x 90 high. It holds two kegs and a fermenter on the motor hump. It will suit me for now (and until I can clean out the garage for my office).
Yep go with the chest freezer definitely cheaper to run as the cold air doesn't fall out every time you open it. Just don't forget to measure up your favorite fermenter and kegs before going shopping.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service