Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Big ups to Hallertau for hosting us again... and massive congrats to Greig for taking out the last comp - great work my man.

The next category is one I am excited about - and I'm looking forward to putting one of these suckers down. The date is up for discussion, however it is traditionally the last Saturday of every 3rd month.

13E. American Stout

Aroma: Moderate to strong aroma of roasted malts, often having a roasted coffee or dark chocolate quality. Burnt or charcoal aromas are low to none. Medium to very low hop aroma, often with a citrusy or resiny American hop character. Esters are optional, but can be present up to medium intensity. Light alcohol-derived aromatics are also optional. No diacetyl.

Appearance: Generally a jet black color, although some may appear very dark brown. Large, persistent head of light tan to light brown in color. Usually opaque.

Flavor: Moderate to very high roasted malt flavors, often tasting of coffee, roasted coffee beans, dark or bittersweet chocolate. May have a slightly burnt coffee ground flavor, but this character should not be prominent if present. Low to medium malt sweetness, often with rich chocolate or caramel flavors. Medium to high bitterness. Hop flavor can be low to high, and generally reflects citrusy or resiny American varieties. Light esters may be present but are not required. Medium to dry finish, occasionally with a light burnt quality. Alcohol flavors can be present up to medium levels, but smooth. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body. Can be somewhat creamy, particularly if a small amount of oats have been used to enhance mouthfeel. Can have a bit of roast-derived astringency, but this character should not be excessive. Medium-high to high carbonation. Light to moderately strong alcohol warmth, but smooth and not excessively hot.

Overall Impression: A hoppy, bitter, strongly roasted Foreign-style Stout (of the export variety).

Comments: Breweries express individuality through varying the roasted malt profile, malt sweetness and flavor, and the amount of finishing hops used. Generally has bolder roasted malt flavors and hopping than other traditional stouts (except Imperial Stouts).

Ingredients: Common American base malts and yeast. Varied use of dark and roasted malts, as well as caramel-type malts. Adjuncts such as oatmeal may be present in low quantities. American hop varieties.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.075
IBUs: 35 – 75 FG: 1.010 – 1.022
SRM: 30 – 40 ABV: 5 – 7%

Commercial Examples: Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Deschutes Obsidian Stout, Sierra Nevada Stout, North Coast Old No. 38, Bar Harbor Cadillac Mountain Stout, Avery Out of Bounds Stout, Lost Coast 8 Ball Stout, Mad River Steelhead Extra Stout

Views: 495

Replies to This Discussion

Absolutely. The detail in the judging notes was superb and have been really useful. Really appreciate the quality of the judging on this one and, as Martin says, well worth the wait.

I can only add to the chorus here, it was a great afternoon, and many thanks to the judges.

I was a bit down on my score, but it is what it is, and will only encourage me to improve.

Really want to know what the next style is....

Thanks for organizers and participants, great night out. Pity the restaurant was reserved for the night, all these roasty beers are so appetizing!

Still think that 3.6/10 for taste is a bit harsh )))) And yes I like some Brett in my beers )))

+1. Had an awesome afternoon meeting you lot!

I think your recipe was great Martin :)

Big thanks to the judges, was an awesome turnout and great to see everyone, and good to get schooled by Mr McGill on Acetaldehyde dos and don'ts (ta mate).

What's next then?

Just so ya know, that wasn't MY beer that was the acetaldehyde bomb! ;)
Oh yeah, sorry, didn't mean that at all! Greig schooled meabout acetaldehyde in one of MY beers :)

Heh, I thought it was Mr. Bridges' Marzen?

*Hides from the wrath of Martin*

Marcetalaldehydzen. It's a new world German style, "Neue Deutsch" if you will.

*ducks for cover*

The beer for the next WBC has (as yet) not been chosen. There was some speculation on the night, however nothing firm has been confirmed.

Daniel is taking this extremely seriously - and doesn't want to be rushed on the matter...!

I'll post a discussion once he has made his mind up. It will be later this week.

Thanks all for coming along and lining Richards pockets with your hard earned wealth - I'm sure that he appreciates it.

Congrats bro.

Was an awesome afternoon. Sounds like I picked the busiest WBC ever as my first comp. 

Cheers to everyone for the feedback on my stout (although the judges pointed out it was more of a Black IPA). Looking forward to the next one to win my money back.

Congrats Richard on the win.

An update for the style... it's looking like Daniel is going to coose a beer to clone.

He'll update on here once he's made his decision.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service