Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Looking at getting myself set up with a gas burner for brewing. I will need to grab a 50L pot at some stage too, but figured the burner came first.

Having a look around it seems that the best choice for buying here in NZ is either the 3 or 4 ring burner that works with a standard regulator on a BBQ gas bottle.

I can find the 3 ring burners for about $70

I can find the 4 ring burners for about $130.

What I would like to know is if it is worth paying almost double for a 4 ring, or whether the 3 ring does the job just fine??

Are there any other options I could consider? I am quite happy to buy stuff in from overseas if it is cheaper and works better. Also not adverse to having to do some assembly or source some parts to make stuff work.

Views: 13744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty close to getting in a new shipment of Rambo Burners which give off the same amount of heat as the 4 ring burners... but they weigh a quater as much. If you're not in a hurry, I'll post a discussion on here when they arrive. It could be as early as 2 weeks from now, or as late as 6 weeks...
I could be in for one of those bad boys, No fear of any DMS issues if you buy one of them. What size do you use for your big kettle Jo?
Which big kettle mate? I have a few!
Ah well,  I seen the vid you posted on some web-site of a 200ltr batch I think?? I,m just thinking what size I would need to boil 50 ltrs?

Right! I use a 10 tip to do my 55L boil and it keeps up really well. When I am rolling, I have the gas valve only open about a third...

Then I go through a SMM evaporation cycle for 10 mins and open it all the way up!

Then go down to a third open again.

An so on and so forth...

I can't stand not knowing what important sounding acronyms mean, and as the first page of google has not enlightened me, I'm going to have to ask you to elaborate on "SMM Evaporation Cycle" :)

SSM is the precursor to DMS

Some explaination here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/DMS

Ta!

What do you use on your biggest kettle jo? Out of interest. Still a rambo or something bigger?

Yeah - it's a big fuckoff Rambo that runs off mains gas.

If you got your arse down here - you'd see for yourself!

Yeah I know I know, I will mate don't you worry!! Gotta get my gas burner going anyways ;o) haha
The rambos look interesting Jo. I assume they include the high pressure regulator? Any idea of what sort of price? I could be keen.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service