Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally got to do a brew day today after 2 months of work/life bedlam.

Not a  brew worth reporting, just an extract IPA same as what I had at Shiggys event before last at Hashingo, only change is swaping out the super alfa for 100gm of savin in the dry hopping.

But thanks Lew for this evenings fun tasting's and various games at your place, so glad I wasn't too hungover to attend!! ;-)

My summation of the day has to this....

Good beer is to share and we did, bad beer is too give away and we didn't.

Cheers guys for a great evening!

Dave

ps DIE PIRATE DIE!!!!  lol

After a txt and email or two with Sparky (yes, there is still brewing life in the tropics of Hawkes Bay) about Sassy Red I'm reviving my old Saazy Brown recipe.

I brewed it many times as an extract & grains and a few as an all grain, but for some reason lost interest after I started tinkering with different hop combinations early last year

Tastes have changed since I laste attempted it and it'll make an appearance soon as a 1.033 Spot The Mot Brown, but not this weekend ... North Welly tasting on the cards Sunday arvo

Apparently there will be NO BEER at the do. Shame shame shame!!!

I'm extra special bitter about that but hopeully the'll have some mild weather for it. Apparently Kate's mum used to be an airporter or something. Wills' forehead looks lager than mine and she's more stout than he his. No doubt they'll all be popping pils,'n'hers'll be a night to remember. Tis the saison to be merry. (What do you mean there'll be no beer?)
No - it's true (heard it on the radio) - they're only having wine and bubbles.
^ ^ HAHAHA nice one !!!  laughed so hard i had to pull out the Foamcleane to clean my screen

Just put down the Hallertau Maximus Clone with my niece for a school holiday project.  Then had dinner at Hallertau last night and she got to taste what she'd helped make.  She'll make a fine brewer one day - her future husband will be thanking me!

Anyway, no Columbus at Brewers Coop so substituted with Nugget - it's pretty damned close on the wheel. 

Also used Golden Promise instead of Gladfields but I kept the acidulated malt in the grain bill and saw my efficiency jump by a couple of points which has made me think about checking my mash pH. 

Hit my numbers bang on (OG 1067 - highest I've brewed so far) and pitched with 2 S-05 sachets just to be safe. 

I like that kind of herbal hopping - especially after hammering the Cascade lately in my Epic Pale Ale clones.

I was considering the Epic Pale Ale clone next - are you using US or NZ Cascade? If NZ Cascade - how did it come out?

Have a PKB Remix clone in the fermenter atm - using NZ cascade. Interested in other opinion on subbing NZ for Us cascade as a prominent flavour addition.

I used NZ Cascade in the first attempt and US Cascade in the 2 last goes at Epic PA. 

The US Cascade is definitely more delicate, floral and rounded compared with NZ Cascade - which is more spicy and assertive/brash.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any of the US Cascade available at the moment.  At last look, Liberty were out and Brewer's Coop had none either.

I'd definitely go for the Brewing Network recipe - much more layered.  Don't be fooled by the IBU's - the sheer size of the late, flameout and aroma hopping adds more bitterness that doesn't make it into the IBU calcs.

Recipe: Epic Pale Ale Clone III - Brewing Network
Brewer: Andrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 26.00 L
Boil Size: 36.13 L
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 15.0 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.36 kg Golden Promise (3.0 EBC) Grain 80.00 %
0.55 kg Caramalt (29.6 EBC) Grain 10.09 %
0.36 kg Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (88.7 EBC) Grain 6.61 %
0.18 kg Carahell (Weyermann) (25.6 EBC) Grain 3.30 %
55.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
55.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
10.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (75 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
18.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (30 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
22.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
22.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-SteeHops -
55.00 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (10 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
42.50 gm Cascade [5.80 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.48 tbsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
18.75 L Auckland, NZ Water
1 Pkgs SafAle American (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion
Total Grain Weight: 5.45 kg

----------------------------
Single Infusion
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.22 L of water at 77.8 C 68.5 C

Today has been a day of "firsts".

I milled grain with my new mill for the first time ever, out of my first whole sack of grain (Weyermann Organic Pilsener)!

Also brewing my first ever lager, and doing my first ever decoction mash. Hopefully I don't cock it up to bad.

Here's the recipe anywho, it's a bit of a combo of the Bohemian Pilsener recipes from Classic Brewing Styles, and Radical Brewing.

Boho Pilsener

Size: 6.0 gal

OG: 1.051

35.2 IBU

5.44 kg Weyermann Pilsner Malt (Organic)

35.0 g Czech Saaz (4.1%) - 60 min

28 g Czech Saaz (4.1%) - 20 min

28 g Czech Saaz (4.1%) - 10 min

28 g Czech Saaz (4.1%) - 5 min

28 g Czech Saaz (4.1%) - Whirlpool

0.5 g Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

2.4 g Wyeast Nutrient - added during boil, boiled 15.0 min

WYeast 2007 Pilsen Lager

21FF Barley Wine 

7Kg of Pearl Pale

2.17Kg of Marris Otter

0.23Kg Caramalt

0.23Kg Carared

0.10Kg Pale Choc

0.50Kg Sugar

90 min boil

60g Warrior @60min

100g Amarillo @15min

100g Ahtanum @15min

May add some hop at 0min yet. Not decided. Hoping for 1.100, 140IBU, pitched onto a yeast cake from my NZ Pale Ale which will get kegged today after 6 days fermenting and tasting great.

This ended up a bit short at 1.090 and I upped the sugar to 1Kg. Another shithouse efficiency from the mash tun, I'll be returning to my BIAB method after this I think. A bit of an epic day, 90min mash, popped out to get a taste of Yeastie Boys Rex, pick up the case swap beers and fill the gas tank. Got home with 30 to go and got the sparge water on. First drain was a ball ache as the tap got opened up too quickly to start with, a stuck sparge that I got going again but the drain was incredibly slow. I should have stirred it all back up, recirced and had another go but hey ho. Second sparge drain was much quicker but it still took almost 4 hours before the boil was underway. 

90min boil, at 15 to go I added the 200gm of hop, that was the best smell all day!! The whole wort just turned to green sludge at that point! Chucked in 50gm of Amarillo at flame out and got the wort chiller going. I kegged my NZ Pale Ale, removed some of the yeast to still leave a fair amount of yeast cake in the fermenter, pitched the barley wine onto that. Within 2 hours it was bubbling away, this morning the krausen had jumped 7 litres! I added another 1.5L back after recovering wort overnight, so 19.5L total.

Just I hope I have enough yeast and not too much and it turns out well, sitting at 18c right now.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service