Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Howdy Dudeys

Has anybody else utilised these food grade buckets for fermentor's or bottling buckets.

I am looking for a secondary fermentor and these seem like a cheap alternative to what is in essence a complete rip-off when purchasing from your LHBS.

20L $6

30L $10

My only concern would be from off flavours in the 20L ones, has anybody had success or problems with these?

Cheers

Views: 1028

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At that price they are worth a look but I'd steer away form the ones that had Oil in them, could be hard to clean completely and would kill your head retention. They seem to be food grade so no reason why they should pass a taint onto the beer.
I've used a bucket like this for fermenting before with no problems, reason being it fit into my fridge better than a 30litre bucket fermenter did. But as 'winner' says id probably steer clear from ones that had oil, if you can, although surely nothing a decent clean couldn't fix.

I use 30l one as a mash tun (isolated). Mine originally had masrshmallow in it.

Cheers for your replies guys, might grab a couple of the 30L ones that have just stored powder. Then for another $10 or so dollars I should be able to pick up everything else from my LHBS (tap, bubbler etc)
Crap, seems as though all the 30l ones disappeared, quick and the dead on here I guess :)
I snapped up 3x30L and 2x20L. They're in pretty good nick but they don't have the o-ring sealed lid that some tubs have. Much cheaper than buying them new from somewhere like Plastic Box.

Yeah I noticed ;)

I think it is only the barrels that have the o-ring, the buckets in my lhbs don't have them at all.

In fact I hope to retire by barrel, it annoys my a bit with the nock and crannys that you have to clean.

Do the 20l ones have a smell to them at all? You think they will be all right for fermenting?

Hi guys,

You can often pick up these kinds of buckets for free of $2 from food processing factories or catering companies. They get their raw ingredients like sour cream etc. in them and then usually have surplus buckets. Most places are happy to share them as it helps them feel like they're doing the right thing by reduce/reuse/recycle...

Cheers Bart, will keep an eye out for one down here in Tauranga

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service