Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Made a bookbinder style NZ bitter yesterday. Forgot I had no NZ Fuggle so had to make some last minute alterations:

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.9 %
0.45 kg Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.35 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.2 %
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.50%] (60 min) Hops 12.7 IBU
15.00 gm Riwaka [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
10.00 gm Rakau [12.00%] (25 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
10.00 gm Rakau [12.00%] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
10.00 gm Riwaka [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [6.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm Rakau [12.00%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm Riwaka [5.50%] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

1.039, 38 IBU, 10 SRM

Well brewing what is now effectively a Belgian IPA, after brewing an APA on sunday, and going to get some S-05 on Monday only to find that the shop had sold out, so I was forced to use T-58 =/ Hmm, im hoping its not too much of a waste of 150gms of US goodness - anyone had any experiance with T-58 and how much hops it will hide??

Should be alright... keep it at 17-18 if you can. Sorry I didn't txt you back yesterday... was busy facing some brewing challenges.

Yeah, it's pretty clean actually, no lager yeast or SO5 or anything but.

I brewed with it ages ago.  Only notes I have say 'smelt Belgian while fermenting but not so much so in the finished beer'.

I used T-58 in my Belgian Barleywine, so no real hops for it to hide. Belgian character is not over the top.

Harvest Brown Ale.

Marris otter 3.5 kg

Brown  200 g

carawheat 200g

pale chocolate 200g

NZ fuggles 25g @ 60

Willamette 20 g @ 15

Willamette 30g @ 5

West yorkshire ale yeast starter

IBU= 30

ABV= ~5%

22 SRM

yum!
I've given the 1469 a crack and maybe my technique is bad, my practices are shabby or I just don't know a good thing when I see it and I'm flagging this particular yeast.
I can see that it's great for the style intended, maybe for others too, but I'm not getting the result I hoped for in the New Zealand Hoppy 1.034 Draught

Brew for the weekend is a rework of the Sauvin / Pacifica / Motueka combo I pinched from Joe's photo / post, with NZ Cascade in for the Pacifica

85% Malteurop
15% Dark Caramalt
A wee smidge of Black
1.034 and 35 IBU with '05

All weighed out and ready to mill
Plan to brew Saturday afternoon instead of the usual Sunday morning and a change of plans never goes well as there'll more than likely be distractions

cheers, jt

Oh well, maybe it's not everyone's cup of tea, JT? I do think it probably wouldn't do much for Gladfield malts. I find it really accentuates the crisp, nutty, straw characteristics of English and some German malts. But at the end of the day, it's all very subjective, I'm sure you're brewing is no worse than mine JT, so I can't imagine it's your technique, maybe just doesn't suite your tastebuds or style?

I would suggest holding on to it, in case you do decide to make a style to suite it, it will keep well.

I'll probably give it a run in the mild if I delve into the malt sack for the brown .. but next up I'll probably give some American Ale II a chance in Some North Welly American Draughts !
I've been really enjoying american ale II - it ferments out really freakin' quickly - much more so than US05 IMO....
So is Am Ale II more characterful than S05 or W1056 then ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service