Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey guys, I have some questions about my fermenter, it's warm. I went off the Heat Pad instructions not to use the heat pad in first 24 hours so I didn't well, just about a few hours earlier it was very cold so put it on. I also used pillow 3 with a bung cord around them around the fermenter. This morning it felt very warm so I turned heat pad off, at 4 when I got home checked it and it still warm, I have been told that the fermentation process will generate some heat, but not 100% on how accurate that will be so I am going to turn on heat pad tonight with no pillows it's a wet cold night so should be ok? the temp on the side is useless I think. I want to get a STC-1000 and hook that to the fermenter and heat pad, good idea? anyone have one for sale all ready to use? Thanks guys.

Daza.

Views: 1037

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Definitely recommend getting an STC, in the meantime you could lean the heatpad against the side of the fermenter if you want to reduce the amount of heat you get from it (also gentler on the yeast at the bottom). 

Good tip just went out to garage to do it, but now pillows are off the sides had cooled down from what it was,  Will leave it for tonight with it on and at the bottom. Otherwise put pillows back on and then put heat pad on the side? Is it ok to have pad in contact with a pillow? Cheers mate

Before I got my STCs I tried putting a towel over the pad and under the fermenter to try and reduce the amount of heat. It kinda worked but I noticed the pad got quite hot. No idea but I imagine it's not too good for the pad, mine's still going 3 years on though.

So there's no chance of a fire then?

There's always a chance I guess, I would put your hand on it and use your best judgement

Yep, get STC-1000 that can heat and chill.

Plonk it in an old fridge or chest freezer.

Fermentation can actually get really warm once it gets going so the chill option becomes important for the first 3 days. After that its keeping it warm enough to finish.

Students finish up Uni end-Sept to October so cheap fridges etc appear on TM.

Yeah good option a fridge, hey the STC 1000 is it easy to wire up a plug for it? I see they say they don't come pre wired, and can have a plug fitted to connect my heat pad to it?

Easy as, to wire up. I just bought 2x cheap extension chords chopped the sockets of both (heat and cold out) and the plug off one (power in) then you just need one of those chocolate block thing's that you screw the wires into to make the appropriate connections

Sorta easy.. there are conflicting wiring diagrams on the Internet as there are several of models (12v, 240v, 110v, dual and single).

If concerned there are prewired ones for sale at some home brewshops and few branded versions (Mangrove Jacks This One only does Heat or Col, single plug).

This one at Brewtopia Temp Copntroller looks the part but I haven't used it before.

Dual output (heat and cold) STC-1000 240v are pretty good. You can set a good delay and 0.1 degree fussiness etc.

I just bought a new STC 1000 240v for $25 off trade me. So if you could show me a photo of how you wired yours up that would be s huge help mate? Cheers

ALl in a box.. but this image is what it looks like... diagram below that might be easier. This is the ndual output Heat and Cold model.

Looks right Just remember your only switching the "Live" NOTHING else and use earths where you can 

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service