Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Craft brewers now seem to be quite keen to package their beer in cans. I don't know if they've fully considered all the ramifications. For folks with facial hair, cans can be positively dangerous. I know that I should never drink out of a can but sometimes there's not really any choice. Nothing brings a tear to eye quicker than a mustache hair caught in the opening tab of a can! Maybe I should contact OSH?

Any views?

Cheers, Tadd

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the US they use cans because they can be taken to public events that glass bottles cant be sold at and when a beer is in a can there is no chance of light strike occurring in the beer. But there is also the school of thought that the interaction of the beer with the can or the food grade coating on the can, can give rise to some off flavours. A mans beard is a precious thing and should be kept safe at all costs.

I keep most of my beer in corny kegs... a lot like big cans really.

Um, Tadd, how's about you pour the beer OUT of the can and into a glass.  All the better for seeing the colour and possible clarity; for smelling the hop aroma as the head releases the CO2 and for ease of drinking.  As Sam Calagione (Dogfish Head brewing) says, you should use ALL of your senses when you consume beer, not just taste!

Finally, in a glass, you won't catch any hairs anywhere.

Hi Richard, you make some good points and I would normally always use a glass. However my wife and I occasionally buy a beer to drink while out and about (e.g. strolling in a park, at the beach, etc). If I happen to have chosen a beer in a can there is no choice about what to drink from. Maybe I should put a bag with a couple of robust glasses in the car - Beervana glasses might be suitable.

Cheers

Tadd

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service