Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

We ended up one beer short so I put this into the swap.  I was trying to make a 3.99% stout, ended up mashing a wee bit high.   I have carbed it low, serve it warm and imagine it was on a sprinkler....

I was very worried it might start fermenting again it sat at 1.021 for ages and wouldnt move so I bottled it  - WL007

its in a 745ml glass bottle no label

Batch Size: 23.00 l

Boil Time: 90 min

Brewer: Peter Smith

Equipment: Pot (13 Gal/50 L) - BIAB

Efficiency: 65.00 %

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

5.00 kg

Gladfield Ale Malt (3.0 SRM)

Grain

73.5 %

1.00 kg

Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)

Grain

14.7 %

0.40 kg

Gladfield Chocolate Malt (634.5 SRM)

Grain

5.9 %

0.40 kg

Gladfield Roast Barley (736.0 SRM)

Grain

5.9 %

20.00 g

Nugget [13.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min

Hop

30.8 IBUs

10.00 g

Southern Cross [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min

Hop

6.5 IBUs

0.30 tsp

Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)

Fining

-

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Bitterness: 37.3 IBUs

Est Color: 51.7 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.051 SG

Measured Final Gravity: 1.021 SG

Actual Alcohol by Vol: 3.9 %

ready now

Views: 165

Replies to This Discussion

Appearance: Lovely black, chocolate colour. Nice brown head but that goes pretty quickly.

Aroma: Subtle chocolate smell. Can't get any hops.

Flavour: Can tell immediately it's low alcohol - very dry, chocolate comes through nicely, not cloying. The hops are just right for the alcohol I think. Very clean ferment - no defects there, my first time trying WLP007 and it lives up to it's name. Once it warmed up a bit the malt came through a bit more.

Overall: Lovely dry stout. A tiny bit thin tasting - maybe a bit more carbonation, lower mash temp or less oats would help? Thanks!

Poured from a good height, was nicely carbed for a stout I thought, smooth tannish head, no 'fizz' at all.

Smelt fantastic, choc and maltiness. Lovely smooth initial taste, mine was 'cellar' temp from the garage and I think was perfect. Oats are great.

I found the sweetness a little much in the aftertaste, but that's probably me. how hot did it go in the mash? perhaps could have handled a bit more bittering, but didn't stop me enjoying it to the last drop. Thank you

Thanks GS, the mash would have been 69-70 the whole way through.   I thought that I was using 1084 which is a monster, but made a labelling mistake and the 007 went in, it finished earlier then I wanted,  I also expected more bittering from the hops, its a little sweeter then I wanted, but I was also rebounding from a milk stout where I put 50g of southern cross in at 60 mins....its like solving an interative equation.    I am definitely going to rebrew this mash at about 67, reduce the choc back a bit to 200g.   It is hard to see the 37 IBUs

Hi there - matched with a roast beef dinner during the week - great pairing!

Appearance/Aroma - lovely black with a roasty slightly choc malt aroma. Head lingered for a while.

Flavour/Mouthfeel - Smooth with a slight bitterness at the end of the taste. Liked that it was a lower alcohol stout (just made an imperial one), didn't pick the thinness - maybe the oats helped.

Great stout Pete - cheers

Second beer on the Wednesday night, figured a lower alcohol beer was in order, for a school night.
Lovely dark colour, clarity seems ok, but can't see much given its so dark.
Slightly thin, but that'll be a low alcohol thing.
For a handpull stout, it'd be absolutely lovely, perfect for a cold winters night. For a bottle conditioned beer, you'd need to get the carbonation up a tad further.
 Good Roasty flavours, nothing off from what I could tell, top job mate.

Oh, and you should get your self a short length of hose and a sparkler ender, and attach it to a drink bottle, and squeeze into the glass, it'll do wonders for this particular beer. its a makeshift handpull for low carb beer, such as this. There's a link somewhere.

cheers mate,  this is interesting idea the homemade handpull,  more interesting is that my glass based 500ml bottles have carbed up further over time then the plastic bottles seemed too?  was bulk primed possibly just the sugar dropping to the bottom and me getting a more carbed one, I used 78g of table sugar next time I am going to us about 90g, I only have about 5 bottles left and feeling sad, will have to rebrew it.... I am really happy with the wl007 yeast.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already.  A light, easy drinking dry stout Peter that goes down a treat in front of the fire.  We brewed a RIS at the other end of spectrum with the same yeast last year and it was a beast.  1.100:down to 1020ish with a delicate ester profile  - a nice dry, clean slightly fruity finish.  With this beer I've been reminded again what a versatile yeast it is, time to give it another go.  Thanks mate, cheers.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service