Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Labelled: ROB TUATARA

Been in the bottle 3 weeks, heres my lovely recipe.

5kg Golden Promise

0.3kg Munich (Gladfields)

0.3 Medium Crystal (Gladfields)

80g Acid Malt

OG 1.055    FG 1.012     abv% 5.6

60min - Pacific Jade 14g

30min - NZ Chinook 10g

- NZ Styrian golding 10g

15min - NZ Chinook 10g

- NZ Styrian 20g

0 min - NZ Chinook 20g

- NZ Styrian 30g

Dryhop: 15g NZ Styrian / 10g NZ Chinook

Yeast: 1pk Nottingham

This fermented out like an absolute rocket, and was pretty much done 3 days after it started.

Enjoy!

Views: 1260

Replies to This Discussion

Looking forward to this one!

Appearance:  Not cleared, maybe needs some more time in the bottle, on the dark/red side of pale. Lovely head that sticks around.

Aroma Pineapple first, then a tutti frutti like smell. Nice. 

Flavour: Good earthy tones from the Golden Promise and maybe the Nottingham yeast. Maybe it's because it hasn't cleared or maybe the quick ferment but I'm tasting a sharp note, very slight - could be yeast or a touch of fusel alcohols? But it doesn't detract too much for me.

Overall: I just finished chopping down a fallen tree with a handsaw and this refreshed the hell out of me. A good session beer. Cheers.

Hey Rob - thanks for the beer.

Appearance - head that lingered for a while, quite hazy - maybe needed to settle out more.

Aroma - a bit of a hop spicy and pine coming through - not overpowering

Taste/Mouthfeel - Good bitterness of the IPA style - a slight ting on the edges of the tongue - can't pick what its from. Nice malty taste comes through.

A nice drop Rob - maybe some more time in the bottle to allow clarity.

Cheers!

not sure what the deal is for clarity,

Last time I brewed a similar  grain bill the clairty was fine.
cheers for the feedback so far guys. I'm still awaiting my package Package lost in the mail. 

Once I get them it'll be all guns blazing.

As noted was a little murky, but nothing compared to the soup that I managed to deliver.

I did find the bottle (a 500ml tallie with a long narrow neck) a bit difficult to pour from without it 'glugging', but probably more carelessness on my behalf.

Think I had a hint of something solventy in the aroma, but there has been some boat building going on in the house, so is maybe completely unrelated to the beer !!

Overall a nice solid beer, not overpowering on the late hops, but a very pleasant bitterness, and nice malt balance, it didn't last long ! Thank you

My girlfriend calls it the death ale, cos she can taste and smell the alcohol...

Ap- Poured murky amber even after a week or so in the fridge.

Ar- Ripe pineapple and toffee with a little bit of sharp solvent going on.

Fl- nice balance of bitterness and malt body. There's a bit of fusel flavour in there too, I'm wondering how there ferment went? What temperatures did you target? The taste suggests a hot ferment, but that would be unusual at this time of year in Christchurch I think!

Nice work overall, recipe seems good and well balanced, just a couple of flaws there with the clarity and the fermentation. Do you fine and use temp control? 

Cheers.

Irish moss on kettle and cold crashing to fine. Still working on ph so could be where the murky apprmearance falls down.
Solvent is a weird one. Most was fermented at 19-21 max it would have got too is 22. Which is odd.
This wouldn't be an extended ferment?
Once I finished I moved to lower shelf to finish and condition while I brewed my SJ PORR beer and fermented that. So temp went down to 17 and back to 21 after awhile

First time with Nottingham. Could be 1 pack for 1055 beer needs slightly more healthy yeast?

It's a fair bit warmer than I brew with Notty myself. I normally pitch at 16 and let it rise through 19. Recommended range from the manufacturer is 14-21, I tend to stick to the lower end for hop focused beers.

Good to know. I'll bear it in mind. Won't brew with it again for awhile. Gonna give the mangrove jacks M07 a go. But it's good advice to stop the solvents.
Midweek ales are a good thing! A short review as I've been writing all day and have more to go.
Tan brown and cloudy - close to coopers sparkling which has a special place on my heart.
Aromas of underripe pineapple. Taste a touch sharp but some malty depth that smooths the edges . Bitterness about right if the fermentation acetone was absent.
There's a cracking beer in there next time you brew this C-Rob. Maybe pitch a bit bigger too - or use some second gen notty - it's a beast if you don't keep it well appeased . Thanks mate

cheers mate, much appreciated.

Plan to keep the fermentation under control a bit better, and possibly switch out the yeasts.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service