Want to place an ad email firstname.lastname@example.org
$50+GST / month
Dunno what I was thinking on this one, but I ended up with about 15 Liters of 8% Ice Porter. It tastes pretty good... Decided to call it "Titanic Porter" given that there was an enourmous iceberg still floating in it when I decided to keg the bugger.
I also learned how to clean black goop out of my fridge and off the floor:
Another thing that I learned was to follow your instincts - remember how things went in your previous brews, and make adjustments to help improve things. The perfect example is the first brew that I made in 2010: a Russian Imperial Stout.
I can remember that when I milled all of my grain together - there were a couple of anomalies. The Roast was in big chunks and the Oats Malt looked like they were almost whole still. So what I did on the brew I did this Sunday was crush the Oats and Roast and Malt all seperately on different mill settings... so first of all I milled the Roasts - 1.2kg all up. I milled this stiff firstly with my normal gap setting, and again with the rollers touching. This process turned all the roasted grains into dust.
Then, I adjusted the gap to halfway between where I normally have it from where they were touching. Then I milled my 2.5kg of Oat Malt. This worked a treat - the insides got ripped out and the huskes were still largely intact. This was a great idea.
Then after all that - I milled the crystals and base malt at my regular setting:
12 kilos of malt all up to go into a 20L batch of brew...
Now here's another learning curve: I planned to use a liqour grist ratio of 3:1 which meant I would have needed 36 Liters of strike water - this was more than my bloody boil volume! I didn't think that through fully at the time - because last time I used 2.2:1 which is why I had such great efficiency last time. I should have gone the same way and things would have been the same, but because I had more mash volume - my sparge depth had changed (it was deeper) meaning I couldn't effectively rinse the grains without diluting the sweet wort below the sparge water. Basically this means I went from 81% efficiency to 75% efficiency meaning I didn't hit my target of 1.107. I only got 1.100... bummer.
Heres a pic of me recirculating 45 Liters of mash:
And how the sparge works in my brewery:
I know another brewer who is about to get one of the pictured magnetic drive pumps... Happy Brewing!!!