Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Another 4 temperature controllers are built and ready for a fermentor near you. These are in a new slim line case, and still being sold for $100 each. The next batch however will be $125.00 due to the increased cost of the cases. So be in quick out of the 4 shown 2 will have a new home soon.

Views: 491

Comment by Paul Wicksteed - another1 on March 12, 2012 at 1:48pm
3 sold, 1 left waiting on CFO (wife) approval
Comment by Sam on April 20, 2012 at 6:28pm

Hi Paul, are you still selling these? I just did a quick search and found http://www.djsbrewingsupply.co.nz sell them, but I've never heard of them before and prefer to buy local anyway. Where do you get your units from, would you sell these as they come without the case etc, and do you have any 30 amp ones as-well like on the djs site, I'm after a heating and cooling one for a fridge, and a higher amp one for a HLT.

Cheers

Comment by Paul Wicksteed - another1 on April 21, 2012 at 2:01pm

Hi Sam, I get my units from China, then buy local for cables, boxes etc. I use the 10A ones for heat/cool fermenting fridges, but use a different PID for HLT ebay Temp PID you can find the STC-1000 on ebay to, I normally buy 5 at a time. I still have 1 STC-1000 10A cased unit, in stock $100, but not individual units.

I haven't heard of DJS before either. 

Comment by martin w on April 22, 2012 at 8:44am

djsbrewingsupply is run by one of the members on here,donald stewart,he's a good guy and will go out of his way to help you, definately recommended.

Comment by Sam on April 22, 2012 at 6:52pm

Cheers Martin, good to know, always nice to find another good home-brew equipment supplier

Comment by Sam on April 22, 2012 at 8:49pm

Hi Paul,

How do you find the PID controllers, are they hard to program, any issues, and are you selling made up PID ones as well? Are you planning on getting any more separate units in (PID and or STC-1000), if so I would be keen to get in on a order, happy for you to take a cut as would still be cheaper than local (and I don't have ebay, paypal or know about import tax etc), if not which seller do you use? Cheers

Comment by Paul Wicksteed - another1 on April 23, 2012 at 9:23am

Hi Sam,

Yeah no worries, I think I still have a 240v PID spare. I have 3 off them in my controller build (thats the big black panel photo that I have uploaded), one each for HLT, Boiler, and HEX. If not I can get one for you, and also a STC-10000 with the next batch that I buy. Will sort out the cost and let you now before I place the order.

The PID's are plug n play, easy to setup. All of the setting's by default are ready to go, as the logic part of a PID is simply an inbuilt algorithm that interprets variables it receives to output an efficient variable to control the temp,,,,,hmm okay that sounds tricky. Basically it learns that if the temp changes between 2 deg over 2 minutes, then to eliminate that 2 degree change the power needs to be sent to the element for 6 10 second bursts. So PID takes care of the turning on and off of the element to keep the temperature at the required setting.

I can give you a hand to set up the PID if you want.

Comment by Sam on April 23, 2012 at 11:54pm

Hi Paul,

Sounds great, cheers for your help. What size elements are you using for your HLT, I'm not sure what size I should go for (planning on making a HLT from a 50 litre keg with help from Chris Banks assuming I can find a keg). Using standard power outlets and plugs etc limited to 10 amp so under 2.3kw if that's enough. I'll try asking the wholesaler about some higher rated gear so I can go to under 20amp absolute max (under 4.6kw) but likely costly,  or trying if possible to switch 2 smaller elements on their own separate circuit to stay under 10amp each, using the PID to control 2 separate relays / contactor for each element, I think using higher amp rated gear and one element would be easier though, I'll have to talk to a sparkie at work.

Cheers

Comment

You need to be a member of RealBeer.co.nz to add comments!

Join RealBeer.co.nz

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service