Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Stainless fermenter for $200

• photo
  • photo
  • photo
Comment by vdog on May 10, 2014 at 4:44pm

That looks awesome! Can I ask why you went with the dished bottom of the keg as the top, rather than the other way round?

Comment by Scott Lyon on May 11, 2014 at 10:41am

Hi vdog, Yeah, I flipped it upside down because I wanted have a bottom drain to dump yeast slurry/ trub out of the bottom while fermenting ( I put almost everything out of the kettle in the fermenter to avoid wastage). I saw on a US site that you can use a triclover fitting to connect to the former top opening of the keg. It works great for cleaning out too because when you thai the triclove off you end up with a 50mm hole right in the bottom that all the crap just flows out of. The beauty of this idea is you only need a drill, angle grinder with thin cutting disk and a jigsaw to make it, no welding needed.

Comment by vdog on May 17, 2014 at 11:35am

Have you used it yet Scott? Curious about how you found dumping stuff off, with a shallow bottom (ie versus a conical bottom).

Comment by Scott Lyon on May 17, 2014 at 1:23pm

Yes, I've fermented in it 4 times now, works great. you can't get all the yeast out but enough for the next brew. I just dump out a cup a day to give it time to slump back down to the bottom. Not as good as a proper conical I suppose but they are around $800. I just wanted something that I could really clean well (i.e. stainless) that suited my 4 crate brew length (40L). I recon It was well worth the effort to make it.

Comment

You need to be a member of RealBeer.co.nz to add comments!

Join RealBeer.co.nz

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service