Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Views: 77

Comment by bj on June 17, 2008 at 9:09am
Hey mate,
Im interested to know how your hops went? Im planning on setting up a trellis like the one you have here, but most info iv found says they need to grow higher? Did you get many hops?
cheers for any info or tips.
Comment by denimglen on June 17, 2008 at 6:03pm
Hi,

I also read the thing that said you should grow them upwards for a better yield.

I harvested something like 60 - 80g dry for a first year harvest.

One thing that I think helped a lot was quite a bit of fertilising with worm 'juice' from our home worm farm and that it was watered every night and every second morning (not too flash for the water bill) with a cheap irrigation system on a timer.

Something else that happened, dunno if it affected yield though, is that the main stem snapped off. After this happened it just started shooting lateral stems like crazy so I trained most of these across.

I think by the end it was about 6m long horizontal and very bushy.

That vertical piece is about 4.5 ft high.

The only annoying thing is that you have to train it manually as the stem still wants to grow upwards, and they can be a little fragile so tend to break every now and then.

It also makes it really easy to harvest being at around chest height. I did three seperate harvests as they needed to be picked.

Hope that helps a little, I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Cheers.

Comment

You need to be a member of RealBeer.co.nz to add comments!

Join RealBeer.co.nz

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service