Greig McGill

Male

Hamilton

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
Hook Norton Haymaker and Old Hooky, Timothy Taylor Landlord and Golden Best, Fullers Chiswick, 1845, ESB, and Golden Pride, Epic Mayhem, Galbraiths Bellringers, Twisted Hop Goldings, Emersons Old 95, JP, and APA, Anchor Old Foghorn, Youngs Ordinary and London Pride, oh just way too many, this is silly. :)
Favorite Breweries?
Hook Norton, Harveys, Fullers, Timothy Taylor, York, Rogue, Russian River, Anchor, Epic, Galbraiths, Twisted Hop, Invercargill
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
House on Hood, The Ruakura Campus Club, Galbraiths, Twisted Hop, Pomeroys, Malthouse, Bar Edward, Hashigo Zake, The Minster Inn in York, England
About Me:
Extremely passionate about beer, home brewer who is too disorganised to enter competitions, founding secretary of SOBA, slight Anglophilic leanings though proud to be a kiwi, refuses to take life too seriously, part right wing fascist bastard, part bleeding heart lefty, mostly libertarian, but finding it increasingly hard to reconcile these parts, atheist and free thinker, musician and songwriter, philosopher but only after enough beer (aren't we all?), nerd by trade, Luddite by nature, walking contradiction. Hi. I'm Greig.

Comment Wall:

• Daznz

Muhahaha oh come on mate it was FREE...
  • Warren Elliott

Well I don't know how much your've heard and what but the short story is yes New Munster is to disappear. We have actually sold the Brewery to an off shore client and are not looking at contracting out the brands. So I hope you enjoyed that New Munster because I'm affraid it may be the last. They all seem to go alot faster when this sort of thing happens. All the best and sorry to dis appoint.
  • Al

Cheers for the info, have found a few sites over here that may have some options, we will see!!!

let us know about April, i live in edinburgh can paint the town red, sales manager at the local micro-brewery and all....

Hows things over in NZ, miss the place like mad..
  • Al

Post-hectic fun, i know that feeling....we have been manically busy with our new beer, but hey keeps you in trouble!!!
  • Stu McKinlay

Greig

I would have emailed you but my work email is down. I take it, from your comment in the Chch group, that you enjoyed the Yeastie Boys PKB. Did you notice much difference from the "trial" sample I gave you a couple of months back - for the better or worse? The homebrewed versions used 100% US Cascade and the commercial batch was Sauvin to bitter, NZ styrian and Oraganic NZ Cascade for flavour/aroma, and all three for dry hopping. We wouldn't have been far off Armageddon proportions in the kettle - possibly even more, actually. The hop change is a scary change when moving from 30L to 1,200L but we did get some good advice from doug at NZ hops and did a 30L trial at Invercargill - just to be sure (not that we had much of an opportunity to change if we'd got it wrong, as we'd already ordered all the ingredients!).

I'll be in touch later about Hamilton getting Yeastie Boys.

Cheers
    Stu
  • Shane Morley

Hi Greig. We will be having some free tasting around 8th October for out Marzen. At the moment there will be a tasting at each pub. If you and any of the SOBA crew are keen, I will let you know closer to the date so you can come along for a taste.
  • Shane Morley

Yeah, it will be on at all the pubs. I will give you a date when I know for certain.
  • Shane Morley

We are doing a brewers special every few months. At the moment we have a Doppelbock on tap. We have yet to get proper tap handles, so you may have to ask the staff.
    Hopefully I can make it down sometime and have a beer with you.
  • Stu McKinlay

Definitely mixed responses from those who tried trials and commercial. I'm on the fence - I probably prefer the commercial because I can still drink it. And then it'll all be gone too!
    I think the yeast was a big improvement - US05 to Denny's Favourite 50. Would love to try two batches next year, one with NZ hops and one with American. I'll see if my accountant (Sam) will allow it ;-)
    Thanks for the promotional work in Hamilton!
  • Stu McKinlay

Yes sir, you tha man!
  • 666 Brewing

Hey Greig

Yes back on the Mainland! If youre near Blenheim anytime just drop me an email and we can catch up for a beer. Should have some beer in bottles in the next 6 - 12 months, alot of work to do before then. Should have some interesting beers to come, just dont know what yet!

cheers
    Graeme.
  • Sam

Sup G Man, happy new year. I'm working for Brenda's boss this month earning some pingas, and we are both pretty keen on this Marchfest thing. You and Alex both going I presume? Any plans as yet?
  • Dai

Hi Greig, just saw your recipe for Saxby's and noticed the Green Bullet. Was wondering if you have noticed much flavour from adding this at 60min, or is it boiled out and covered by your latter hop additions? I often use GB at 60min because a small amount will really kick up the BUs- so I do not need to use heaps of other hops to boost the bitterness. I generally prefer hops like Fuggles and Goldings, so would need quite a bit to get up to the 40-ish IBUs that I like my tipple. Nasty economics, I know...
  • Sam

Working until 5th Feb, which is both :) and :(
    Any idea if the RCC is open on the 6th? ;)
  • Scott Raynel

As well as traces of your Ad Nauseum Pale Ale... om nom nom...
  • Dai

I know what you mean about the Londoner (may be I should change my profile, but I feel guilty doing so!). Can you tell me what the problem is?-- I can not put my finger on it. The last time I had the bitter it had a raspberry type taste. The lager had a detergent after taste (?). Strange. Did they take over the old New Begin (aka Onehunga Spring Brewery) Old Thumper? I was only a nipper when this brewery was around, but man that was a great drop. Londoner seems to be a blander... or may be it is the same as the oldversion, but my taste buds were in Lion Red mode during my teenage years. When your mate has 'that conversation', could you ask him to suggest they do not serve the beer so cold?!

Thanks for the hop advice too!
  • Dai

Tag Greig, wei geht es dir? Good to met you and Alex the other day, and really enjoyed your brews; esp. that porter. Although, was feeling pretty rough on Sunday. That hopping schedule for my IPA was: 13g Green Bullet and 40g Imp Stryian Golding @60min; 20g IS Gold @30min; 40g IS Gold @10min; 40g IS Gold at W/P. Was aiming for 66BUs, but that was if the OG was 1.050. It was actually 1.060, so not as bitter and will have to increase hop levels a bit next time. 60min biol and used W1028. So simple that I feel like a fraud! Pass auf dich auf, Dai.
  • HerrSchnapps

Hey Greig, not sure who to contact from SOBA, though I do know you're at least in the committee, so this is a start. Anyway, we have a brewing club here at the Uni of Canterbury with about 200 members this year. Since the club has similar aims to SOBA, I've been wondering about partnering up with SOBA - i.e as a student chapter or something. I know obviously you're only one member, but as I said, I'm not sure who to approach first. The board isn't probably the best place for this, bu if you want to discuss this further could you email me at jmontagu AT gee-mail? Cheers, Jade.
  • Riggwelted

when were you there? I'm a Ripon lad so Black Sheeps the pint of choice. Old Paul Theakstons a bit of a legend in our neck of the woods, taking on the might of Scottish and Newcastle and then beating them at their own game. !!!
  • Riggwelted

Ah yes Ripon does that to you - Twilight Zone. You can come in but never leave. I've fled the place twice and i still keep going back !
  • studio1

Hi Greig - good to meet last night. if you send me your address I'll get the 1469 down to you. Garrick
  • Steph

Hey - Forgot to say "Happy birthday" for yesterday. Hope you had a few good beers to celebrate.
  • studio1

Hi Greig,

Yip, sorry I had run out of ice packs. Didn't think the tube would get damaged though. Happy to send you another with some bubble wrap?
  • Bambule

Hi Greig, Just heard you on the radio, Good on you man, Fight the power!
  • Pilgrim

Gidday Greig, I thought we were already friends. Must be the Alzheimers setting in. Are you and your wife still on for the Chicago trip? Last time I spoke with Joking and Steve Ploughman they were both doubtful.
    Cheers
    Pete Northway
    (06)345 1409
    pilgrim@inspire.net.nz
  • Pilgrim

Hi Greig,

Never heard of Google Wave, so doubt if I've got an account, but then who knows, Readers Digest have been pestering me for around 40 years :-).

I'm still keen to go but was getting concerned at lack of information, and time flying by. I'm happy to help out with the organising, but think we need a good plan re dates/flights/accommodation etc. I'll need to book my leave ASAP as the two projects that I am working on could get busy around that time.

Cheers
    Pete.
  • Pilgrim

Hi Greig,

If that's the case then I'm not interested and will pull out. I thought the idea was to spend a week in San Francisco going around the local Micro Breweries, then the same in Chicago and then again on the way home via San Diego. Small group of us, all sharing the experience of meeting other brewers and sampling some great beers. If it's just going to be meet up in Chicago for the World Beer Cup and then come home then I'd rather save my money for a trip with my wife.
    If we do go as a group then I would suggest that we would be better off letting a good travel agent do the planning as we would probably get a better deal and wouldn't have to worry about all the planning.
    I looked up Google Wave and it seems an ideal way to plan something like this.

Cheers
    Pete.
  • Pilgrim

Hi Greig,

Did you catch up with Luke at all regarding the trip?

Cheers
    Pete.
  • Pilgrim

Ok, Thanks Greig. Shame but if we can't do it properly, as a group then it's better not done at all. Looks like I might get a holiday with my wife for a change :-). If you're ever down this way make sure you give me a call and I'll give you a tour of The Weary Pilgrim brewery and The Pilgrim's Rest bar. I might be going up to the Motorhome show in March so where would be a good bar to get some decent beers?
  • Pilgrim

Hey Greig,

My mobile phone number is 021 136 5337, home phone (06) 345 1409 eMail pilgrim@inspire.net.nz.
    Looking forward to catching up with you, it's lonely being the only SOBA member in the town :-(

Pete.
  • Pilgrim

Hi Greig,

Can you eMail me your contact phone number so that I can give you a call on Thursday? I hope to be in Hamilton by around 5:00pm and we then need to book into the motel and grab a bite to eat, so will probably be free from around 6:30pm onwards. We're staying at the Ambassador Motor Inn in Ulster Street.

Cheers
    Pete
    (pilgrim@inspire.net.nz)
  • Pilgrim

So Greig,

Will you eMail me your contact numbers so I can touch base when I arrive in Hamilton?

Loking forward to meeting up and sampling a few beers.

Cheers
    Pete
    pilgrim@inspire.net.nz
    Mobile 027 136 5337