Dai

Hamilton

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
Most/all of the Emerson's range; esp. Bookbinder, Cock n' Bull Fuggles, Mayhem, Keith's Red (Canada), all the pulled ales I tried when I went to the UK, and Greymouth brewed Original and Black. Oh, and Guinness too!

To add to the list: Croucher's PA and Pils; Krombacher; Wadworth 6X; Mussel Inn Golden Goose Dark Horse and Bitter Ass; Hobgoblin; Fuller London Pride; Bob Hudson bitter; and even my own best bitter!

More to the list! Townshend Dinner ale, NTA, Number 9, etc (contender for best brewery in New Zealand?), Harrington's Classy, No.8 Big Smoke, Inver's Pitch Black...
Favorite Breweries?
Emerson's, Keith's (the world's best brewery tour), Croucher's
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
Twisted Hop, the Dux, House Bar, Brewhaus Frings, Hallertau, Galbraiths, Malthouse, Hashigo Zake, Bar Edward.
About Me:
I am a beer enthusiast and homebrewer who dreams the dream of all homebrewers: to start my own microbrewery and make fine ales.

Comment Wall:

• Greig McGill

Sorry Dai, this comment thing seems a bit broken. Half the time my RSS feed doesn't tell me I have a new one, and I've only just noticed your comment from January 15!

Re: Green Bullet - I can detect some flavour from them, even after 60m of boiling, but to be honest, it's not a flavour that screams nasty hop (the vegetal, sharp taste they impart if used any later in the boil), and while it detracts a tad from the "Englishness" of SOB, I do find it pleasant enough and easier on the pocket. I've been playing with Super Alpha recently, also as another economic and easily available bittering-only hop.

I wouldn't use either with an American style beer, as any US clean fermenting yeast will expose the bittering hop flavour more. English yeasts tend to produce more esters, masking and melding with the bittering hop flavours.
  • Greig McGill

Oh, and are you serious about the Londoner in your profile? That beer has MAJOR issues! :) A friend of mine (Brent) knows the brewer and has been meaning to have "that conversation" with the brewer, who Brent claims is probably just too busy to fix it, and when the local punters drink it anyway, why would he? :)
  • JoKing

Thanks mate... it's a 38L Brewcraft fermenter with a steel braided hose bungend on the inside of the tap. It fits 12 kilos of malt in it with a LGR of 2.2:1. I lose approximately a degree per hour at the moment. There is a lid for it too with the foam on it. I put it on and leave it for an hour.... Sweet As!

It took about 3 different mash setups to find what is best for me... and this is it! The beers come out as bright as you want with the recirculating mash - it's awesome!
  • JoKing

It depends how much malt is in your recipe, so I'll give you a couple of examples...

3.7kg grist (my TTL Clone) I had 85% efficiency.
    5kg grist, Ive had 86% (with some very diastatically powerful malt) but most of the time its 82%
    6.15kg grist (Dubbel) 80%
    8.1kg grist (my IIPA) 78%
    9.38kg grist (Mikes Maniacally Mad Mixture of Malted Meal featuring the four C hops) 75%

So, I suppose there are a few factors that affect the efficiency - to me it is the brand of base malt you use and how much you use in the mash.
  • Laurel

I was actually just in Canada a few weeks ago and Keiths Red wasn't bad at all! Was actually pretty impressed with a lot of the beers Canadians are brewing these days, can't wait to join them!
  • Simon David kelly

Thanks for the offer Dai. I've put a bit in on two of the 50lt ones. Meant to do a 50 and 30, but clicked the wrong one. Got excited :)

I'll email the guy and ask if the arrangements ok. I'll comment again when I find out.
  • Simon David kelly

Just heard back from the seller, he's all fine for a Monday pick up if I win. Are you sure you'll be ok bring two 50l kegs back? :o) If not I can arrange for a courier.

Thanks again for the offer.
  • Simon David kelly

Email on it's way.