denimglen

35, Male

Auckland

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
Emersons - Old 95 and Bookbinder, Epic Pale Ale, Rodenbach Grand Cru.
Favorite Breweries?
Wigrim, Epic/Steam, Emerson's, Galbraith's.
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
Galbraith's, Hallertau, Showies.
About Me:
Homebrewer and beer lover.

"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Comment Wall:

• Stu McKinlay

Hey Denim - no problem sending you a bottle or two, if you want to try yankee-style porter. Just drop me a line at my "stu" soba.org.nz email. Cheers Stu.
  • Haish

Hey DG - I found the braid in the kettle to be a bit of a PITA, slow to filter with hop pellets (probably worse with whole), sharp, and annoying to take apart and clean. I wound up using a hop sock with it which solved the first prob but not the others.

Now I use a stainless elbow and copper dip tube inside the kettle and pick up from the side rather than the middle so a whirlpool works really well. I have a new filter on the end which is essentially a stainless mesh tube secured by a ss hose clamp. I am still using the hop sock, not brave enough to try it without yet!!

I have been following your progress with your brew stand, looks awesome!! Where did you get the stainless from? What size is it, and how much was it if you don't mind me asking? I'm quite keen to do something similar but I'm in a gathering parts phase at the moment...

What else are you putting on your kettle? Sight glass, thermowell? I haven't done anything other than pick up tube as yet.
  • Haish

I used one of these on the end of my dip tube http://painthose.net/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71

Its about 12 cm long and I got it from Wagner Spraytech in Neilson St for $19. It does a reasonable job with break without a whirlpool, but I wouldn't trust it with hops. I crimped one end closed and secured the other to the tube with a hose clamp.

I have been looking at Mico Metals for the stainless and its $30/m for 38 mm by 1.2 mm square tube and ridiculously expensive for 50 mm by 1.5 mm. Might have to look at 33 mm.

Have you got your QDs yet? Where are you getting them? I have some stainless camlocks but the hose tails are too restrictive so flow is a bit slow. I might change them for QDs...

What are you using burner wise? Or are you going electric? I have a 3 ring burner but I can't get a really vigourous boil with 30+ litres.
  • Haish

Wagner Spraytech had paint strainer bags when I was there. I'm using a nylon bag from Brewers Coop that I hang into the keg.

You can probably get away without the filter on the dip tube if you're using a hop sock, the plate chiller should be able to handle break.

Thanks for the info about stainless, I'll keep looking around. I have also thought about mild steel and powder coating it but I have no idea if it will handle the heat. There are other options like header paint to consider as well I guess...

My keg sits on concrete blocks about 10 cm above the burner, I've found that's about right for max flame/minimum soot. I recommend a few trials before you settle on your design. Wind shielding is another important consideration because my burner hates the wind. I will be looking for a better burner for my kettle on my stand, the beerbelly ones look pretty awesome but pricey too.
  • Haish

Wagner is right next door to HCD so I might bump into you while checking out QDs :)

Do you know how thick the SS you used is? I'd like to use 1.2mm if possible to save on cost but not sure if its strong enough. Best price I've found so far is $108 for 6m lengths of 38mm square tube 1.2mm, $40 more for 1.5mm.

You probably won't need all 4 rings going for your mash but will for HLT and kettle. My 3 ring heats 21L sparge water from tap temp to 80oC in about 45 mins. Are you going with a gas distribution manifold/plumbing or seperate tanks for each burner?
  • Tony

Hi Glen

I noticed you are in Auckland, when are we going to see you at a SOBA meeting?