Chris Banks

Male

Wellywood

New Zealand

Profile Information:

Favorite Beers?
Citra,Bitter Bitch,TPA,Minimus,Winter Minimus,Maximus,Goldings Bitter,istout,Dinner Ale,Bookbinder,Craftsman Choc Stout

Radler......NOT!
Favorite Breweries?
Liberty,ParrotDog,8 Wired,Hallertau,Twisted Hop,Emmersons,Croucher

Dirty Bastards ......NOT!
Favorite Bars/Pubs?
Hashigo,Twisted Hop,Malthouse,Hop Garden,Hallertau
About Me:
Banks Brewing Hardware.
http://banksbrewing.blogspot.com/

Comment Wall:

• cerevisia

I'd be very keen to buy a hop plant off you. Where abouts in Wellington are you? I'm out in Karori..
  • James P

Hi Chris, I'm up in Welly for beervana, maybe we can meet up on the Saturday? I can take it home with me on the Sunday.
  • jt

Hey Chris, you have Martin (aka Toast) up the road and round the corner in Plimmerton.
    Matthew, Michael & I were planning a Northern end of town get together - maybe a Sunday afternoon
    They're in Tawa, I'm in Newlands. Are you interested ?
  • Sam

Hi Chris - I'm definitely keen for a hand. I don't have the hardware to do it myself :) Nor expertise, for that matter.

What do you suggest - is it a fairly intensive job?

• JoKing

You are the man Chris! That harware is looking outstanding! I need more sparge arms bro!
  • Sam

Hi Chris,

I'm looking at either buying or making a HLT. I was wondering how much you charged for a basic HLT. I have been looking at doing a cheaper temporary solution but rather than eventually having to replace a cheaper one, I would prefer to do a high quality future proofed design from the start, so even when I eventually upgrade the rest of my brewery, the HLT won't need or even be wanted to be replaced.

I assume one with all the bills and whistles would be out of my price range, but as long as the bones / basics are high quality, and the designs allow for the extras to added at a later date as cash allows, that would be great.

I was looking at making one from a 50 litre keg (I think I can get one for $120) unless its better and still cost effective to use a pot. As a start I would like to have a sanitary fitting for the tap, and for it to be electric so I can set different temperatures for mash liquor.  I can do some of the work (that I know how to and have the gear for) myself to cut back on cost.

I also want to be able to add in the future as / if its needed and cash is available, but can leave for now to cut back on cost; a PID controller, a internal coil for a HERMS system, something to prevent temperature stratification, maybe a sight level although probably not worth it in a HLT, and a low density element in case I ever want to use it as a second kettle for larger batches. 

I'm also curious about your sparge arms and recirculation plates, I currently batch sparge with a ice-cream lid with holes in it. Sorry for such a long message.

Cheers

• Sam

Do you have any more photos of your own HLT? Looking around on your site there's some amazing looking gear, very impressive