Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Western Brewers Conference

Information

Western Brewers Conference

Two-monthly, the Western Brewers Conference holds a brewing competition. The rules are simple: $10 to enter - winner takes all. At the end of the competition, the brewer who places third chooses the next style to brew. Every other style will be a clone - just to keep it fun

Members: 116
Latest Activity: Feb 14, 2017

Amended from above Sept 2015: Two-monthly, the Western Brewers Conference holds a brewing competition. The rules are simple: $10 to enter - all except for 2nd place who wins their entry fee back. At the end of the competition, the brewer who places third chooses the next style to brew. Choices are for 4 months hence so there is time to brew a lager if so chosen. 

Judging starts at 3 pm.

Discussion Forum

25th February 2017 - NZ Pale Ale

Started by Dunc Feb 14, 2017. 0 Replies

Location: Brothers at City Works Depot, Auckland. 2.30pm. Judging begins 3pm. The more the merrier.WBC members and events can now be found here:…Continue

WBC Keg for National Homebrew Conference

Started by Sam DT Feb 8, 2017. 0 Replies

Hi guys,The NZHC crew are keen to run a bit of a club night event along side brewmania again this year.Basically the aim is to have six kegs from clubs around the country to be served on the Friday…Continue

26th November 2016 - 1D. American Wheat Beer

Started by Peter Smith. Last reply by Dunc Nov 27, 2016. 18 Replies

Booking things for Saturday 26th Nov - get your brew in now!1D. American Wheat BeerOverall Impression: Refreshing wheat beers that can display more hop character and less yeast character than their…Continue

27 August 2016 - Oatmeal Stout

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Anatole Perry Aug 27, 2016. 16 Replies

What a fantastic style. I wish I had time to make this one but with travel plans (issue, which I will raise in a bit).Oatmeal Stout: BJCP Category 16BOverall Impression: A very dark, full-bodied,…Continue

21B Specialty IPA - Red IPA - 28May 2016

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Jul 4, 2016. 26 Replies

The next WBC style will be a Red IPA. Judging will take place on 28May at Hallertau. as always, judging will start at 3pm.Specialty IPA: Red IPA Overall Impression: Hoppy, bitter, and moderately…Continue

Tags: IPA, Red, competition, Hallertau

02April 2016: Classic Smoked Ale

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Apr 21, 2016. 13 Replies

Hi All,Ok, I have also moved this for Easter. Let me know if you can make it. Hoping the date doesn't clash with too many things. John has selected one of his favourite styles for our next…Continue

23Jan 2016: Czech Premium Pale Lager (Closest to Pilsner)

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Mar 3, 2016. 12 Replies

Couple changes to the format we had been following: The clones were not very popular so we have gone back to a BJCP 2015 based competition. Keep in mind that with our competitions are every other…Continue

Tags: Hallertau, WBC, Pilsner

BOCK!! 21Nov 2015 --> moved to 05Dec

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Jan 10, 2016. 20 Replies

Congratulations to Dunc for taking 3rd place (again) and for choosing a very interesting beer for us all to try. Dunkel bock - style 6C according to BJCP 2015link here: …Continue

Clone War - Tuatara Ardennes - Sept 19th 2015

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Sep 28, 2015. 13 Replies

Mike choose (with a little influence) the next style as Tutarara's Ardennes:…Continue

25th July 2015 ESB

Started by Barbara Joppa. Last reply by Barbara Joppa Aug 3, 2015. 17 Replies

As always, thanks to Hallertau for putting us up for these competitions. Our next style will be Extra Special Bitter: Category 1C - description can be found at SOBA NHC if you want a google search -…Continue

Tags: Homebrew, Competition, WBC

Comment Wall

Comment by Reviled on April 27, 2009 at 12:01pm
I reckon (depending on the yeast) a ferment can still be slightly clean with a warmish ferment, ive fermented with 1469 at 24*c a couple of times and its not overly funky or anything.. And dont even get me started on US-05, that shit ferments clean up to like 26*c :oP lol
Comment by NVIOUS on November 9, 2009 at 3:08pm
Only a few weeks out. How many people have brewed yet?
Comment by Reviled on November 9, 2009 at 3:10pm
Im working that weekend :o(
Comment by Greig McGill on November 9, 2009 at 3:11pm
Yep, twice. There's only 10L of the first one, but it's tasting quite good. Nice balance between banana and clove, a hint of phenolic spice, and a good summer quaffer. The second one was brewed yesterday. Same recipe but on a larger scale. Pitched onto the yeast cake and as of this morning it had already climbed out of the airlock and all over the inside of my fermentation fridge! :( Ah well, at least it's a healthy fermentation.
Comment by JoKing on November 9, 2009 at 4:21pm
Mines a bit out of style... so might have to Judge this one... I'll still enter the beer though.
Comment by NVIOUS on November 9, 2009 at 6:56pm
Yeah mines slightly out too. But looks like I wont be able to make it anyway :(
Comment by Greig McGill on November 9, 2009 at 7:39pm
It's gonna be just me isn't it? :(
Comment by Reviled on November 9, 2009 at 7:48pm
Shouldnt have hassled everyone so much last time greig ;oP lol
Comment by Greig McGill on November 9, 2009 at 7:51pm
Ha! Lies!
Comment by Shannon on November 9, 2009 at 8:44pm
I should be there Greig no worries split the prize money 50/50 if its just the 2 of us ?

Comment

You need to be a member of Western Brewers Conference to add comments!

Members (114)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service