Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here yee, here yee.

First of all, thank you to everybody who attended the IPA competition on the 5th of September. I hear it was a fantastic night with some standout beer.

Congratulations to Tyler who won the competition outright with a stunning IPA. More props go out to Mike, Alister and Greig who also had some pretty sweet beer.

As it is... and as it will allways be, there is a last place winner - who (by sheer coincidence) is a new WBC member (again!) Kyle. Congrats on the entry mate - and thanks for chosing a seasonal favourite of mine - Hefeweizen.

So next quarter - we are back to our regular timetable: the last Saturday of the month: 28-11-09.

Attached are the style guidelines for your reference.

If you need some yeast to brew for this style: LET ME KNOW!!! I will be putting in a bulk order with White Labs around a month out from the competition date so that you can have an appropriate beer to enter!

Cheers.

15A. Weizen/Weissbier
Aroma: Moderate to strong phenols (usually clove) and fruity esters (usually banana). The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Noble hop character ranges from low to none. A light to moderate wheat aroma (which might be perceived as bready or grainy) may be present but other malt characteristics should not. No diacetyl or DMS. Optional, but acceptable, aromatics can include a light, citrusy tartness, a light to moderate vanilla character, and/or a low bubblegum aroma. None of these optional characteristics should be high or dominant, but often can add to the complexity and balance.
Appearance: Pale straw to very dark gold in color. A very thick, moussy, long-lasting white head is characteristic. The high protein content of wheat impairs clarity in an unfiltered beer, although the level of haze is somewhat variable. A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking). The filtered Krystal version has no yeast and is brilliantly clear.
Flavor: Low to moderately strong banana and clove flavor. The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Optionally, a very light to moderate vanilla character and/or low bubblegum notes can accentuate the banana flavor, sweetness and roundness; neither should be dominant if present. The soft, somewhat bready or grainy flavor of wheat is complementary, as is a slightly sweet Pils malt character. Hop flavor is very low to none, and hop bitterness is very low to moderately low. A tart, citrusy character from yeast and high carbonation is often present. Well rounded, flavorful palate with a relatively dry finish. No diacetyl or DMS.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body; never heavy. Suspended yeast may increase the perception of body. The texture of wheat imparts the sensation of a fluffy, creamy fullness that may progress to a light, spritzy finish aided by high carbonation. Always effervescent.
Overall Impression: A pale, spicy, fruity, refreshing wheat-based ale.
History: A traditional wheat-based ale originating in Southern Germany that is a specialty for summer consumption, but generally produced year-round.
Comments: These are refreshing, fast-maturing beers that are lightly hopped and show a unique banana-and-clove yeast character. These beers often don’t age well and are best enjoyed while young and fresh. The version “mit hefe” is served with yeast sediment stirred in; the krystal version is filtered for excellent clarity. Bottles with yeast are traditionally swirled or gently rolled prior to serving. The character of a krystal weizen is generally fruitier and less phenolic than that of the hefe-weizen.
Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.052
IBUs: 8 – 15 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 2 – 8 ABV: 4.3 – 5.6%
Commercial Examples: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Schneider Weisse Weizenhell, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, Plank Bavarian Hefeweizen, Ayinger Bräu Weisse, Ettaler Weissbier Hell, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Andechser Weissbier Hefetrüb, Kapuziner Weissbier, Erdinger Weissbier, Penn Weizen, Barrelhouse Hocking Hills HefeWeizen, Eisenbahn Weizenbier

Views: 219

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not protesting! Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with hefeweizen being chosen as the style, and if it was at any other time of the year I'd probably go for it. However, it's probably the busiest time of the year for me in terms of brewing and I need to keep my fermenters and kegs free, or full of stuff I want to drink. I can't like every style, and hefeweizen is one of my least favourites.
I felt like protesting when I found out this style has come about again... I was hoping that we'd get more of the bjcp range covered out first. This is the 2nd time within a year that we've had hefeweizen...

But then again... it is the privelage of the last place winner to choose the style...and just because I have 2 hefes on my schedule already... (now I have a 3rd) who am I to complain? I can easily lose this one and choose a Barleywine for February!
Ive tried some excellent examples of 'delicous' hefe beers, but still I am unable to finish a full glass as it just doesnt do it for me, and I find i end up forcing it down much like mega-swill...

I think ill just focus my efforts on the Wellington WBC this time round, APA is more up my alley ;o)
Mate why dont you try to brew a Hefe? like 10l of one that way it will test your skill as a brewer. Brew one and do the rest as a case swap come on take on the challenge it would be rude to take there money and back out of the next!!
Hmm, well when you put it like that... I guess I could do 10L, allthough I wonder how id do it on my set up, id have a heap of dead space and big temp losses, but I guess I could do it... 80% wheat?? ;o) lol

Ill need some yeast, is anyone able to share some wheat yeast?
Fuck it bro - Go 100%! I'll sort you out with some yeast if you like...

I wont put too much acetobactar in it!
I've got some WY 3068 too. Should have plenty after a trial hefe batch. Lucky I like the style! ;)
If you have not started your batch yet, I just picked up my ingredients for my (very) small batch. Brewers Coop has brought in some new yeast including one specifically for wheat beers. I bought one of those (don't ask me the name, it starts with k). The point being, I won't need all of it and am willing to part with some. Let me know.
I think it's wb-06 and k-97.

Good on you for choosing k-97: it's an old favourite of mine. Very neutral which makes it great for a krystal weizen... or an American type wheat beer.
K97 is the yeast, it's a kolsch strain - not really a 'wheat' strain as stated.
Oh the other yeast he just got in was T-58, he's had WB06 for a while now.
So here is a question in regards to this competition. I am planing on a small batch, 7L. I have a kettle that should fit with no problems but if I put this 1/3 batch into my fermenter, there will be a lot of airspace. How will this affect the fermentation? Should I try to rig up something else to ferment in?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service