Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Here yee, here yee.

First of all, thank you to everybody who attended the IPA competition on the 5th of September. I hear it was a fantastic night with some standout beer.

Congratulations to Tyler who won the competition outright with a stunning IPA. More props go out to Mike, Alister and Greig who also had some pretty sweet beer.

As it is... and as it will allways be, there is a last place winner - who (by sheer coincidence) is a new WBC member (again!) Kyle. Congrats on the entry mate - and thanks for chosing a seasonal favourite of mine - Hefeweizen.

So next quarter - we are back to our regular timetable: the last Saturday of the month: 28-11-09.

Attached are the style guidelines for your reference.

If you need some yeast to brew for this style: LET ME KNOW!!! I will be putting in a bulk order with White Labs around a month out from the competition date so that you can have an appropriate beer to enter!

Cheers.

15A. Weizen/Weissbier
Aroma: Moderate to strong phenols (usually clove) and fruity esters (usually banana). The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Noble hop character ranges from low to none. A light to moderate wheat aroma (which might be perceived as bready or grainy) may be present but other malt characteristics should not. No diacetyl or DMS. Optional, but acceptable, aromatics can include a light, citrusy tartness, a light to moderate vanilla character, and/or a low bubblegum aroma. None of these optional characteristics should be high or dominant, but often can add to the complexity and balance.
Appearance: Pale straw to very dark gold in color. A very thick, moussy, long-lasting white head is characteristic. The high protein content of wheat impairs clarity in an unfiltered beer, although the level of haze is somewhat variable. A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking). The filtered Krystal version has no yeast and is brilliantly clear.
Flavor: Low to moderately strong banana and clove flavor. The balance and intensity of the phenol and ester components can vary but the best examples are reasonably balanced and fairly prominent. Optionally, a very light to moderate vanilla character and/or low bubblegum notes can accentuate the banana flavor, sweetness and roundness; neither should be dominant if present. The soft, somewhat bready or grainy flavor of wheat is complementary, as is a slightly sweet Pils malt character. Hop flavor is very low to none, and hop bitterness is very low to moderately low. A tart, citrusy character from yeast and high carbonation is often present. Well rounded, flavorful palate with a relatively dry finish. No diacetyl or DMS.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body; never heavy. Suspended yeast may increase the perception of body. The texture of wheat imparts the sensation of a fluffy, creamy fullness that may progress to a light, spritzy finish aided by high carbonation. Always effervescent.
Overall Impression: A pale, spicy, fruity, refreshing wheat-based ale.
History: A traditional wheat-based ale originating in Southern Germany that is a specialty for summer consumption, but generally produced year-round.
Comments: These are refreshing, fast-maturing beers that are lightly hopped and show a unique banana-and-clove yeast character. These beers often don’t age well and are best enjoyed while young and fresh. The version “mit hefe” is served with yeast sediment stirred in; the krystal version is filtered for excellent clarity. Bottles with yeast are traditionally swirled or gently rolled prior to serving. The character of a krystal weizen is generally fruitier and less phenolic than that of the hefe-weizen.
Ingredients: By German law, at least 50% of the grist must be malted wheat, although some versions use up to 70%; the remainder is Pilsner malt. A traditional decoction mash gives the appropriate body without cloying sweetness. Weizen ale yeasts produce the typical spicy and fruity character, although extreme fermentation temperatures can affect the balance and produce off-flavors. A small amount of noble hops are used only for bitterness.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.052
IBUs: 8 – 15 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 2 – 8 ABV: 4.3 – 5.6%
Commercial Examples: Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier, Schneider Weisse Weizenhell, Paulaner Hefe-Weizen, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, Plank Bavarian Hefeweizen, Ayinger Bräu Weisse, Ettaler Weissbier Hell, Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, Andechser Weissbier Hefetrüb, Kapuziner Weissbier, Erdinger Weissbier, Penn Weizen, Barrelhouse Hocking Hills HefeWeizen, Eisenbahn Weizenbier

Views: 219

Replies to This Discussion

I already have some fresh wlp300 and will be brewing with it next weekend if any of you fellas want some washed harvest.

Chur.
Yawwwwwnnnnnnnnn,

I think the brewers should be incouraged to brew some interesting wheat beer styles like dry hopped Weizen Bock:

Brooklyner-Schneider Hopfen-Weisse
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/brooklyner-schneider-hopfen-weisse/780...

And
Schneider & Brooklyner Hopfen-Weisse
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider--brooklyner-hopfen-weisse/75...

I think Colin at the Malty has some of this if you need inspiration??

Hopefully these beers will stop the judges falling asleep at the judging table.
Just for you Steve - I think I'll give that beer a crack!
Hrm... I was looking forward to brewing this tightly to style, but I might do several batches, dry hop one, and pay $20 to enter twice!

Must... beat... Tyler... ;) (And I was claiming not to be competitive).
I think it should be Judged to style - and if one is willing to attempt to enter a beer that is out of class, then one should expect to not do well against the style guidelines.

Perhaps we can add an "out of the box" prize for those of us who don't mind pushing the guidelines a wee bit.
To be honest, I cant see me entering this one... Theres no way I want a batch of wheat beer which I have to force down my throat, its my most hated of all styles! Not even really swayed by a weizenbock or similair...

I was hoping it was gonna be ordinary bitter ;o) Its still a subtle style, but one I can actually drink :oP lol
Likewise. I'd be happy to stand in as a judge on this one coz I can't cope with a full keg of wheat beer in the run-up to Christmas.
I will take the keg.
Shit I dont even want to judge it, I wouldnt be able to handle more than a mouthfeel of wheat beer...
Man, that's maybe three people who don't want to brew for this. Don't you have friends who can drink it with you? :)

I quite like a nice hefeweizen... *runs for the hills, chased by flaming hop-branch wielding brewers*
You guys are too scared to brew a 1/4 batch?
I love a good Hefe Weiss. I think a lot of people get scared off by crap examples of the style - either shitty store bought examples, or shitty homebrewed stuff. I've had plenty of both... and have had some unbeliveble delicious Hefe Weiss.

I challenge any of you protestors to brew your own Weizen - and brew it well. If you do, you'll have nothing to complain about.

*stir* *stir*

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service