Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

First a big congrats to Greig for the resounding win in the Belgian Tripel category. You could drive a truck between the winning score and the next place. Of course, as always, huge thanks to Steve and Hallertau for being such kind hosts, and to our judges: Steve, Martin, and Barry.

Our next beer style was chosen by Rhys (welcome to the group!): a Rauchbier. To make judging easier, I propose we define the style per BJCP as "Classic Rauchbier". Our challenge will take place at Hallertau on 25th Aug, judging to start around 3:00 PM. If you are interested in judging, shoot me a message. $10 entry per beer.

Aroma: Blend of smoke and malt, with a varying balance and intensity. The beechwood smoke character can range from subtle to fairly strong, and can seem smoky, bacon-like, woody, or rarely almost greasy. The malt character can be low to moderate, and be somewhat sweet, toasty, or malty. The malt and smoke components are often inversely proportional (i.e., when smoke increases, malt decreases, and vice versa). Hop aroma may be very low to none. Clean, lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS.

Appearance: This should be a very clear beer, with a large, creamy, rich, tan- to cream-colored head. Medium amber/light copper to dark brown color.

Flavor: Generally follows the aroma profile, with a blend of smoke and malt in varying balance and intensity, yet always complementary. Märzen-like qualities should be noticeable, particularly a malty, toasty richness, but the beechwood smoke flavor can be low to high. The palate can be somewhat malty and sweet, yet the finish can reflect both malt and smoke. Moderate, balanced, hop bitterness, with a medium-dry to dry finish (the smoke character enhances the dryness of the finish). Noble hop flavor moderate to none. Clean lager character with no fruity esters, diacetyl or DMS. Harsh, bitter, burnt, charred, rubbery, sulfury or phenolic smoky characteristics are inappropriate.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Medium to medium-high carbonation. Smooth lager character. Significant astringent, phenolic harshness is inappropriate.

Overall Impression: Märzen/Oktoberfest-style (see 3B) beer with a sweet, smoky aroma and flavor and a somewhat darker color.

Comments: The intensity of smoke character can vary widely; not all examples are highly smoked. Allow for variation in the style when judging. Other examples of smoked beers are available in Germany, such as the Bocks, Hefe-Weizen, Dunkel, Schwarz, and Helles-like beers, including examples such as Spezial Lager. Brewers entering these styles should use Other Smoked Beer (22B) as the entry category.

History: A historical specialty of the city of Bamberg, in the Franconian region of Bavaria in Germany. Beechwood-smoked malt is used to make a Märzen-style amber lager. The smoke character of the malt varies by maltster; some breweries produce their own smoked malt (rauchmalz).

Ingredients: German Rauchmalz (beechwood-smoked Vienna-type malt) typically makes up 20-100% of the grain bill, with the remainder being German malts typically used in a Märzen. Some breweries adjust the color slightly with a bit of roasted malt. German lager yeast. German or Czech hops.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050 – 1.057
IBUs: 20 – 30 FG: 1.012 – 1.016
SRM: 12 – 22

ABV: 4.8 – 6%

Views: 1064

Replies to This Discussion

Please let me know if you plan to enter. Nothing like expecting 6 entries and ending up with 17!

I plan to, though not sure if I'll have the time to brew! Hope so, I want to make a run at the double play!

Think I'll attend again, new territory for me brewing a Rauchbier! excited to give it a crack :)

That sounds really painful.

Hi sorry for the late reply Barbara, didn't see the thread start.... Count me in, all brewed and lagering away.

Plenty of schlenkerla at the beer store if you want to get you eye in.

Would anyone be interested on a pre-brew Rauchbier meeting at Hallertau?

Taste some samples, talk about brewing and raw materials, home smoking malt techniques etc.

If there is interest we can set a date.

Sounds like a great idea! Probably better sooner rather than later so we have time to brew and condition these for an appropriate amount of time

Yes, though not sure if I'll be able to make it, this needs to happen!

I think this is an excellent idea! I am not sure you will convince me to brew this style, but you may convince me that it's not all ashtray.

Can we make it a weekend - say 16 or 17th June? City of Ales is on 23June but the following weekend would be a possibility as well.

Pick a date, Steve. I can help put out the word.

Okay, here's the deal: Steve is happy to host a smoked beer tasting/discussion at Hallertau on Sunday 17th June. 3:00 PM start time. I need you all to RSVP to me by Thursday, 14th June, so Steve knows how much beer to get. Expect $5 /head to help defray costs. 

You can RSVP to nzBeerIQ@gmail.com

Let others know if they don't check this site often. Hope to see you there!

Barb

I can't make it, but will let as many people as I can know.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service