Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thanks again to Hallertau for hosting this fine and prestigious event.

Hey boys and girls, sorry for this late write up (prompted my Greig) but have had a lot on my plate the last few months

First off a congrats to the first prize winners of the last comp John Golics and Matt. I managed to scrape in third so got to choose the style. Which is as the title states imperial red. Which as it turns out isn't an authentic style. Which is actually a good thing. So in saying that there will be a fair bit of ingenuity needed on this one. I can however give you some guidelines to go by.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.060 – 1.075
IBUs: 50 – 90 FG: 1.008 – 1.012
SRM: 10 – 17 ABV: 6 – 9%

So everyone better get brewing :-)

Views: 193

Replies to This Discussion

Hrm! Sounds very flexible... I imagine judging is going to be pretty damn subjective. ;) Ah well, it's been ages since I've got to hang with you guys, so I can't wait. Weekend brew! :)
You'll have to put me down as a Maybe on this one. Not sure if I'll get a chance to brew a beer, but that wouldn't stop me coming along for the fun & frolics. However, I've got a lot on in February so not sure if I'll get a pass.

Imperial Red is defined in the World Beer cup style descriptions.

85.Imperial Red Ale

Imperial or Double Red Ales haveintense hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. Alcohol content is also very high andof notable character. They range from deep amber to dark copper in color andmay exhibit a small amount of chill haze at cold temperatures The style may useany variety of hops. Though the hop character is intense it’s balanced withcomplex alcohol flavors, moderate to high fruity esters and medium to highcaramel malt character. Imperial or Double Red Ales have a full body. Diacetylshould not be perceived.

Original Gravity (ºPlato)

1.080-1.100 (19.5-23.5 ºPlato)

Apparent Extract/Final Gravity (ºPlato)

1.020-1.028 (5-7 ºPlato)

Alcohol by Weight (Volume)

6.3-8.4% (7.9-10.5%)

Bitterness (IBU)

55-85

Color SRM (EBC)

10-15 (20-30 EBC)

Cool thanks Steve. I wasn't too far off then.
Crap. Just bought all my ingredients. Might have to beef up the gravity a little by sugary means...

sounds like a certain Poppy that I've got to know recently.

So do we go for the world beer cup guidelines or those in the OP?

"So do we go for the world beer cup guidelines or those in the OP?"

Go for a mix of both, whatever feels best at the time ;o) lol

I won't be brewing for this one, but I will definitely be there to sample. Maybe I should judge?

See you in Feb.

Hey all.

This forum has been rather quite this time round. Looks like I will be judging as I couldn't find time to brew one.

Just hoping some of you managed to do better then me.

I haven't had time to brew one, and I'm not sure I'll even make it :(
I haven't had the time to brew either, but should make it out there on the day. I have an APA I want some feedback on.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service