Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Mt. Maunganui Brewers

Information

Mt. Maunganui Brewers

Wondering if any home brewers in the mount area would like to start a group, perhaps a monthly tasting/discussion would be fun.......

Members: 19
Latest Activity: Jul 6, 2016

Discussion Forum

Mount Brewing Company Homebrewers meeting this Thursday 22/8/13

Started by mattd2. Last reply by JumpR Aug 25, 2013. 8 Replies

Saw in the paper on the weekend that Mount Brewing Company is having a homebrewers meeting this Thursday (22/8/13) at 7:30pm (I have to check the time!)I'm going to try and get along to it, just…Continue

Monthly get together & Case swap

Started by mattd2. Last reply by mattd2 Jul 2, 2013. 39 Replies

So looking back it looks like the last time a get together was organise was about a year ago. I was thinking about New Year's resolutions today and thought I should really get out there and met some…Continue

Liquorland Spring Fest 2012

Started by mattd2. Last reply by mattd2 Nov 9, 2012. 4 Replies

So is anyone going this time round? What was this last one like, had a look at the phtots on facebook and it looked good = lots of standing round drinking good beer!Interested in the lineup, looks…Continue

Gladfield Malt

Started by Arron. Last reply by Scott Lyon Aug 24, 2012. 3 Replies

Hey guysAny all grain brewers here?Im getting 2x 30kg sacks of Gladfield Malt delivered but can get upto 300kg for the same shipping costs.Is anybody keen for any? $50 + gst per 30kg + share of…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by Scott Lyon on September 12, 2011 at 7:59pm

The inaugural meeting of the Mount brewers group went well on sunday, nice to meet Jaimes and Ryan, seven different beers got sampled and enjoyed and we all checked out some recipes and swapped a few ideas. We were all keen to do it again at a later date, so watch this space and hopefully we can get some more of you guys along!

Cheers

Scottie

Comment by mattd2 on September 13, 2011 at 10:07am

Gutted that I didn't get there, was up in Auckland with the family. Sounds like it was a good time. Just got an Irish red ale done last week so hopefully that will be ready for next meeting.

Cheers

Comment by Jaimes Booth on September 13, 2011 at 10:21am

Thanks Phil and Scott for organising and hosting the inaugural meeting. I was very impressed with the quality of the brews and inspired to give Brewing In A Bag a go. Looking forward to the next meet.

P.S. The La Trappe we sampled is brewed by a subsidiary of Dutch brewery Bavaria, not Heineken. Sorry to have misled.

Comment by Scott Lyon on October 10, 2011 at 8:01pm

Hi Guys, been busy lately so the brewing has mostly been on the back burner. Did get a chance to finally try out the double keg set up last friday, all seemed to work well, a little slower to get to mash temp than the last set up but still got 50 L into fermenters in under 5 hours, we may be able to shave that down a bit too. Did a APA, 10 kg golden promise, 1kg med crystal, 1kg munich, 66 L of spring water heavily hopped with Hallertauer, Amarillo and Styrian goldings. It came in at 1.050 and is bubbling away nicely. What is everyone else up to??

Cheers

scottie

Comment by Jaimes Booth on October 10, 2011 at 10:12pm

Hi guys,

I now have a 20L pot for BIAB.

First all grain attempt was a learning curve. I pitched from a previous yeast cake, throwing it all in. In hindsight this was over pitching by about three to five times. On the upside I have had excellent attenuation going from 1.078 to 1.008 in a week. However, it initially tasted sour enough to indicate an infection. But this seems to be mellowing out.

What do you think? Drink it before it gets worse or let it mature and see where it goes?

I also planted a smoothcone and a "German" hop from fragrantgarden.co.nz. There may be rhizomes to share next year!

Have ordered ingredients for a Belgian Strong Dark Ale "Gulden Draak" clone. I hope this one is more succesful.

Comment by Scott Lyon on October 11, 2011 at 6:15pm
Sounds awesome ! Put me down for some rhizomes next year ! Don't know about your sour brew, It might get better later on, worth  a wait.
Comment by Jaimes Booth on February 16, 2012 at 3:29pm

Hi guys. When is the next get together? I am happy to host it at my place in Hairini. I have some of the aforementioned Gulden Draak clone "cellared" (that is in a box in the laundry) and I am keen to taste your brews.

Comment by mattd2 on February 20, 2012 at 2:04pm

Just got a message on the other forum I frequent from a new brewer in Papamoa so I've pointed him this way. I'd been keen to meet up soonish (hopefully I'll be in town this time round!). It might turn into a Belgian theme as last week I bottle what I will most likely call (if it turns out any good) my Burnt Foot Tripple - gave myself a nice burn on my foot making candi sugar!

Also would anyone be keen for a Mt case swap? Should I make another discussion on here for it.

Comment by Jaimes Booth on February 22, 2012 at 1:48pm

Hi Matt,

I'm always keen to sample independent beer, particularly anything Belgian style. So a case swap sounds like a good idea. How does a case swap work exactly? I don't know if you should start another discussion.

What yeast did you use for your triple? Was the other forum you frequent beer related? If so what's it called?

Comment by mattd2 on February 23, 2012 at 2:01pm

Hey Jaimes,

I should stop talking up this "Tripple" as it was more of a experiment in making candi sugar. I just used T-58 on it so it won't really be anything special but the sample I had during bottling was pretty good. Basically it was just NZ pilsner malt and candi sugar with T58! I'm trying to wait at least a month (3 more weeks) before trying 1 and then another month or 2 before actually getting stuck in to them... of coarse it is proving hard when I have no other beer in the house!

For the case swap it seems to work by everyone puts in 1 bottle of beer per person in the swap then everyone gets 1 bottle of every other persons beer to try. Migth be a good thing to try and organise with the meet ups so that even those that don't make it on the day still get to share their beer.

Comment

You need to be a member of Mt. Maunganui Brewers to add comments!

Members (19)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service