Grainfather Users Group

Information

Grainfather Users Group

Members: 48
Latest Activity: Nov 13, 2018

Discussion Forum

Grainfather Version history

Started by Jeff Nov 13, 2018. 0 Replies

Hi all.I've re-discovered home-brewing over the past three years having previously made some awful stuff in the early eighties with a bunch of mates whose common thread was having a mortgage and no…Continue

WORLD Brew Day - Sat May 5th

Started by Chris Carter. Last reply by Chris Carter May 6, 2018. 3 Replies

HIJust wondered if any of you are partaking.  Sounds like good excuse to brew another beer and have a bit of fun along the way.I'm housing a brewday with a few folk who are keen to learn about AG…Continue

Tags: World Brew Day 2018, Little Creatures IPA Clone

Grainfather Beer Quality

Started by MrC. Last reply by MrC Apr 30, 2018. 9 Replies

There is plenty of information on the web about the brewing experience with the Grainfather and to honest it looks very appealing and I'm tempted to get my credit card out right now and buy one.…Continue

Tags: Quality, Beer, Grainfather

Reiteration mashing

Started by Mark Weusten Apr 3, 2017. 0 Replies

I did an Imperial stout in the weekend and mashed two lots of 5kg grain to get the required abv. Week 74 Grainfather blog tells me to…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment by Crusader-Rob on October 8, 2014 at 1:07pm

Cheers john, much appreciated. Yeah i think the thermowell would be the way to go if you wanted to put the time and effort in. I dont think theres a sight glass. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
when you say overshoot, have you got a rough idea for sparge water how far it goes? maybe1-2 degrees? Like you say once its evenly distributed, it'll even out anyway.
the plan is this to be my HLT (depending how much i can gt MLT and kettles for either standard pots or 50L Kegs.) If I can get them cheap enough, then I could do as above and butcher it up.

Comment by Dene McDonald on October 8, 2014 at 7:51pm

For those new to the group, there is also a Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1557967401104380/

Comment by Steve Dorrington on October 8, 2014 at 7:53pm

I've given my Grainfather away....  They were shipping when the Water NZ conference was on in Hamilton a couple of weeks back.  So why not. I decided the earliest form of water treatment would make a great prize in our business card draw at the end of the conference.  The winner is here and he was a very happy chap.  

http://www.abbey.co.nz/latest-news

Comment by Dene McDonald on October 8, 2014 at 8:01pm

Steve, I thought you were going today you hated it! What a fantastic prize to win.

Comment by Steve Dorrington on October 9, 2014 at 1:52pm

Dene, might be another Steve?  No I had heard rumors about the GF from Andrew Childs last year and would have brought one but they were still some way off back then.  It would have been way cheaper.  I ended up building a 2 pot recirculating system based on jkarps counter top Brutus design with 60L pot, 2x2.4kw elements PID, 40L cooler MLT, pump and CFC.  cheers Steve

Comment by Matt Poff on October 9, 2014 at 2:51pm

What's everyone using to clean? I've used up the "High Performance Cleaner" that came with the GF and there only seems to be one supplier advertising 1L bottles of the stuff. Local HBS said its not available yet.

Comment by Taubin on October 9, 2014 at 2:52pm

I ordered more cleaner from GF, it hasn't shown up yet but it was the only place I could find it. Being a newbie I didn't want to take any chances with other stuff screwing something up. 

Comment by David M on October 9, 2014 at 3:13pm

Ordered the 1L cleaner when I ordered my unit from GF. Same as Taubin - didn't want to cock it up.

I would be interested if anyone knows what else you can use. Is there a generic source of that cleaner.

They said not to use normal PBW as a problem with the mixed metal composition of the GF although this may apply only to the copper in the chiller.

Their cleaner seems to work well.

I use PBW on the pipe as normally clean that before the GF has finished.

Comment by Peter Smith on October 9, 2014 at 3:39pm

You could try sodium percarbonate (oxywash).... not on anything aluminium tho

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/laundry/other/auction-78909502...

same trader does 1kg citric acid at $8 for mash ph adjustment

Comment by Matt Poff on October 9, 2014 at 4:44pm

I was using unscented oxy in the form of NapiSan with bot brews and still using it on fermenter etc. with good results. Not keen to use it in the GF though because of the soft metals. Had a brief look around to see if there were similar products with the same active ingredients.  One's commonly used in dish-washing powder and the other in shampoo and hand soap (softens water). Couldn't really find an equivalent and the GF solution is fairly priced - just need to get hold of it.

John Palmer mentions a couple of oxalic acid based cleaners which are effective for stainless and copper.

Comment

You need to be a member of Grainfather Users Group to add comments!

Members (47)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service