Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hey ya'll,

I recall there being another thread similar to this for last year's recipes, figured I'd get a 2013 version started! (hint hint Barb, give us some Joppa Stout love!)

Martin asked if I could share my "Smell the Roses" recipe :) Happy to! 

This is a rad summer beer. Sorry to say, but it uses pretty tough-to-get hops. This doesn't use any random ingredients as the name may suggest, just a name with a bit of a back story. I'm providing the ingredients in % (grains) and grams per litre + AA% + IBU's (hops) - I do double size batches so you can work it out for your system from there.

Session IPA - "Smell the Roses"

ABV: 5.2%

IBU: ~60 (Using Rager)

OG: 1.055

FG: 1.013 - 1.015

Water adjustment

My water is pretty soft, adjust this to your system. I've added gypsum and Acid Malt to achieve the appropriate mash PH.

0.3g/L Gypsum in mash water (aiming for about 250 ppm if I recall)

Fermentables

91% Golden Promise @ 6.3 EBC (I used Thomas Fawcett, but am also a big fan of Bairds)

5% Medium Crystal @ 153 EBC (Bairds)

3% Munich Malt @ 16 EBC (Weyermann)

1% Acid Malt (Weyermann)

Hops (kettle)
I'm using Simcoe to bitter as it gives a lovely smooth bittering. The Cascade is intended to be a "layering hop", with two rockstar hops like Simcoe and Amarillo, I needed something to sit quietly in the background and tie the hop profile together. 

1g/L Simcoe @ 12% @ 85mins (36.7 IBU)

1.25g/L Simcoe @ 12% @ 20mins (15.4 IBU)

2.5g/L US Cascade @ 6.2% @ 10mins (9.5 IBU)

1.25g/L Amarillo @ 8.5% 0 mins (probably a few extra IBU's from this addition)

Other additions

0.1g/L White Labs Yeast Nutrient @ 10mins

1x White Labs Servomyces Capsule per 20L @ 10mins (Make that yeast happy for gods sake!)

~1g/L Koppafloc @ 10mins

Hops (dry)

From what I've learned over time, dry hopping is all about surface contact with the beer (duh..). I don't have a conical fermenter so can't rouse my dry hops using CO2. Instead, I split the dry hopping out like this to get multiple instances of the hops "falling through" the beer before settling on the bottom. I also do it across a temperature range to try get different characters out of each dry hop. This could all be hearsay, so by all means do what you think works best for your system. The "days" refers to how many days before kegging or racking the beer. You can see I have it at crashing temp for that last addition.

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 7 days @ ~20c

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 5 days @ ~10-17c

0.65g/L Simcoe & 0.65g/L Amarillo @ 3 days @ ~1-5c

Yeast

White Labs WLP007 - This strain has been a favourite of mine for some time.. It has great attenuative properties (70-80%), and ferments very clean like an American Strain, but just seems to give the beer something a little bit special.. 

I grew up this vial over the course of a week, stepping a starter up to about 450b cells for ~40L. This is a bit of an overpitch. It was a very happy chappy when it went into the beer!

Process

Mash at 67-68c for 60mins

Boil for 90mins

Chill wort to 17C & oxygenate well before pitching yeast

Raise temperature to 19c over first 36-48 hours

Raise temperature to 21c over next 5 days

Fermenation will finish quickly with WLP007 (she's a beast), allow the yeast to clean up for at least a week before crashing and transferring.

Start your dry hopping after 1 week of fermentation. 

WLP007 Drops clear well, so you probably don't need to Gelatin this. Feel free to if you want it super clear, but that hop haze will prevent you from getting it brilliant. 

Carbonate to 2.3 - 2.6 volumes depending on your preference

Drink in volume in the sun, with a BBQ burning, music cranking and laughter abounding.

OK, I think that's pretty much it! feel free to ask any questions you may have. 

CHEERS!

K

Views: 5363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For those that were interested, I posted some info on the "what are you brewing" forum here

For people posting scoresheets and wondering exactly who judged their beer, I've updated https://nhc.soba.org.nz/pages/judges so you know whose bed to put a horses head in, or who to send beer to! ;)

Great advice, along the same lines as my other thread.

All of which I'll be taking on board. Starting with Kellys recipe on the weekend. No Amarillo, so I'll be subbing in my remaining Mosaic... I just couldn't resist that recipe, and it'll use a good portion of the hops I have left.

...I wonder how much it would cost to courier a Horse head...:-)

I saw both Amarillo and Simcoe in Brewers Coop on Thursday.

seems its just us cascade thats short right now.....   Armarillo is very expensive in the us right now!

Stuck with mosaic, don't wanna go copying peoples recipes.....nah I had to brew on weekend and getting the hops from BCOOP would have struggled to make it. Great recipe. Should be a good Xmas/new year beer.

Thanks guys, love me some gold medal recipe's!!!!

I dont have much to contribute this year, a Barley wine I made scored a 41/50 but the recipe is pretty simple, its only gladfield ale malt and a kettle full of 'mystery german' hops grown in the garden. Just decocted the grist a few times and then boiled the shit out of it for 3 hours.

It was cool to see the names popping up over twitter again this year.... Huge congrats to Matt, Ill be giving your sour a crack in the not so distant future

Hey Matt, a bit late on reading up on all this.  I'm interested in your American Brown...I want to try brewing one of these myself (tho I'm far more amateur than most...only 4 or 5 brews under my belt).  I just like the idea of something a bit more refreshing than an English style and with just enough hoppiness to keep it interesting.

Hey Richard.

This is my favourite recipe actually, I just love the flavour combination of smooth, caramely choc malt with piney, citrusy hops and a nice firm bitterness, so yum. The recipe started out as Tasty Mcdole's Janets Brown but has been tweaked a bunch of times. Here is the recipe, note the low IBU's, this doesn't take into account the big hop load at flame out which I steep for 20 mins. I calculate this as a 5 min addition on my software which puts it closer to 50 ibu.

Water (ppm):     Ca: 82,  Mg: 12, Na: 16, Cl:  60,  SO4: 104

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil:     35.00 l     Wort Volume After Boil:     29.75 l
Volume Transferred:     22.75 l     Water Added To Fermenter:     0.00 l
Volume At Pitching:     20.00 l     Volume Of Finished Beer:     20.00 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity:     1.049 SG     Expected OG:     1.058 SG
Expected FG:     1.015 SG     Apparent Attenuation:     72.8 %
Expected ABV:     5.7 %     Expected ABW:     4.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth):     35.8 IBU     Expected Color (using Morey):     22.2 SRM
BU:GU ratio:     0.62     Approx Color:    
Mash Efficiency:     85.0 %        
Boil Duration:     60.0 mins        
Fermentation Temperature:     18 degC        

Fermentables
Ingredient    Amount    %    MCU    When
NZ Gladfield Ale Malt     4.670 kg     70.2 %     3.8     In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt     0.665 kg     10.0 %     1.1     In Mash/Steeped
US Carapils Malt     0.435 kg     6.5 %     0.2     In Mash/Steeped
UK Dark Caramalt (Bairds)     0.385 kg     5.8 %     4.0     In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt     0.265 kg     4.0 %     33.5     In Mash/Steeped
German CaraAroma     0.235 kg     3.5 %     8.6     In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety    Alpha    Amount    IBU    Form    When
US Warrior     16.0 %     12 g     16.5     Loose Pellet Hops     60 Min From End
NZ Chinook     9.6 %     25 g     7.5     Loose Pellet Hops     10 Min From End
NZ Cascade     9.0 %     25 g     7.0     Loose Pellet Hops     10 Min From End
US Simcoe     13.0 %     12 g     4.9     Loose Pellet Hops     10 Min From End
NZ Chinook     7.0 %     30 g     0.0     Loose Pellet Hops     At turn off
NZ Cascade     9.0 %     30 g     0.0     Loose Pellet Hops     At turn off
US Simcoe     13.0 %     12 g     0.0     Loose Pellet Hops     At turn off
US Centennial     9.2 %     30 g     0.0     Loose Pellet Hops     Dry-Hopped
US Amarillo     5.0 %     30 g     0.0     Loose Pellet Hops     Dry-Hopped

Yeast
White Labs WLP001-California Ale 

If you haven't played around with water yet just ignore that, PH will be sweet as with all the dark malts in there. I use a large boil volume, because of the geometry of my kettle my evaporation and dead space is pretty big. Just plug in the percentages for the malt based on your boil volume and the target OG and adjust hop quantities to your boil volume.

Hey Matt, well, I ended up using my own recipe which was:

In a 20L batch

4.6kg Marris Otter

750g Pale Crystal

150g Pale Chocolate

20g Nugget at 60 minutes

then 25g Citra each at 20, 10, 5, 0

Mashed for 60 minutes at 65C and boiled for 90 (I can't remember the reason why, but it worked, I guess)

Pitched US05 slurry at 17C, raised to 18 the next day then to 19C until nearly at terminal, then raised to 21C for VDK rest. 

I'm not ready for water preparation yet - just trying to get my process right.  

And you know what, this is definitely my best beer to date!  I didn't get the dryness you would expect from mashing at 65C, but the mouthfeel is fabulous - I know I had my mash temp right and yet it is smooth and creamy almost!

If you like, I can send you a bottle for comparison's sake.

Hey Richard. Stoked it turned out for you, a sample would be awesome thanks! I think a bit of body and mouthfeel is important for a beer like this, I wouldn't be concerned with drying it out too much. I'm at 407 Jervois St, Hastings, 4122. Cheers!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service