Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70869

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was thinking after posting its not quite bitter enough so maybe warrior or pac jade at 60 to bring it up to 60 - 75 IBUs.

Off the Cuff Rye IPA

80% American Ale

10% wheat

10% Rye

OG 1.062 - 1.008

30 IBU @ 60

10g Citra @ 20

20g Nelson @20

20g Centennial @0

30g Citra @0

50g Nelson @0

Dryhop - 60g Nelson 30g Citra 30g Centennial

M44 yeast

Thoughts? I've avoided the Crystal malts to get a dry as i can, and with rye offering some nice body, and wheat offering some sweetness i figured it would probably work quite well.

I can add 200g Galdiator?

THOUGHTs?

I don't think the Glad would add much with 10% wheat/rye already given you good body / head etc.

I'd try it without first, what's the worst that could happen! :)

Will M44 really be able to get you 87% attenuation final of 1.008?    

I have not used it, thats a pretty dry target for a non Belgium yeast

and an 80% american ale malt base.    

maybe my beer smith is out of date

add brett, does brett behave with rye?

IME the yeast if opitched at a high rate and re-hydrated, will attenuate furtherthan US-05. and If I mash lower (65), I reckon I can get 1.008.

Its ganerally a pretty good yeast, when treated properly.

I actually hit Imake up about this recently.

I switched to liberty bell for a brew to see how it would go and beersmith was telling me that liberty bell should have greater attenuation than M44 which goes against the MJ data sheets.

I ended up dropping the attenuation manually in beersmith to around 72% for the liberty bell and it was pretty close.

I use M44 as my house yeast (have the same settings as you in beer smith). I generally over attenuate by 1-2 points which would suggest that the beers smith figures are a touch low (I probably wouldn't go as far as MJ claim tho). I haven't back calculated but I recently took an IPA from 1.065 to 1.013, target was actually 1.015, I generally finish about one point low on my PAs 1.012 as opposed to 1.013 down from 1.052 ish.

I use 2 packs re-hydrated for most of my beers - three for IPAs. Generally mash around 65.5 - 67. 

Anyone got any suggestions to improve this. It was just going to be a rebrew of a zombie dust clone with the bittering replaced with Pacific Jade and other additions adjusted to use a 1lb bag of Citra and be a bit heavier on later additions. I'm going to ferment with 1318 so I thought why not replace the Munich and Cara Pils with some Oats and get some of that NE IPA creaminess in there. The hop additions look a bit light to me but the last one with 430g Citra was pretty good (lots of citrus at first but got more tropical with mangos and stuff as it aged) and this one is 450g Citra + 25g Pacific Jade

Citra with oats
14-B American IPA

Size: 40.0 L @ 20 °C
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 78.7%
Calories: 213.74 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.064 (1.056 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.018)
Color: 24.73 (6.0 - 15.0)
Alcohol: 6.66% (5.5% - 7.5%)
Bitterness: 58.4 (40.0 - 70.0)

Ingredients:
10 kg (77.5%) Gladfields Pale Ale - added during mash
1.5 kg (11.6%) Golden Naked Oats - added during mash
0.5 kg (3.9%) Light Crystal - added during mash
0.6 kg (4.7%) Aurora - added during mash
0.3 kg (2.3%) SourGrapes - added during mash
25 g (5.3%) Pacific Jade (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
40 g (8.4%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0 m
45 g (9.5%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 m
50 g (10.5%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m
90 g (18.9%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
75 g (15.8%) Citra™ (12.0%) - whirlpool at 80c
150 g (31.6%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter
4L starter of 1318

Just be a bit careful on the colour.

If your going hazy (it will come out hazy with that yeast guaranteed) but be aware as a beer gets darker and is hazy, they can tend to look a little 'grey'

if it was me to hit the NEIPA style, remove you aurora and add 10% flaked oats to it as well, your naked oats will give you enough sweetness (crystalised oats) and the flaked oats will give it good mouthfeel in conjunctionwith the golden naked oats as well. (you can probably leave the crystal in there.

The other thingto consider is soft bitterness.

maybe consider a 1:1 ratio for your water treatment (sulfate:chloride) the chloride supposedly softens it up a bit.

Just be a bit careful on the colour.

If your going hazy (it will come out hazy with that yeast guaranteed) but be aware as a beer gets darker and is hazy, they can tend to look a little 'grey'

if it was me to hit the NEIPA style, remove you aurora and add 10% flaked oats to it as well, your naked oats will give you enough sweetness (crystalised oats) and the flaked oats will give it good mouthfeel in conjunctionwith the golden naked oats as well. (you can probably leave the crystal in there.

The other thingto consider is soft bitterness.

maybe consider a 1:1 ratio for your water treatment (sulfate:chloride) the chloride supposedly softens it up a bit.

Yeah I was wondering about the color. I really like the Aurora/Melanoidin malt in Zombie Dust, its my favorite malt profile for any of the IPAs I've done but between the oats and the yeast this will be a very different beer.

How about dropping both the Aurora and Crystal in favor of maybe 5 or 6 % toffee malt?

I'm a bit wary of flaked oats after the last oatmeal stout I made. It wasn't horrible but when it was fresh the oats combined with the astringency of (possibly excessive amounts of) roasted barley and perhaps a little tannin extraction gave it a bit of a funny mouth feel and dried out your mouth a bit. That aged out eventually.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service