Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not serious about the colour as such, more that I (albiet roughly) relate the colour to the flavour/aroma of the malt more-so than anything. So I'm not too fussed about the actual colour as such, just the range that the malt falls in, which I find out from Mike at BC, and just call it smack-bangers in the middle of that range.

AFAIK, no one is supplying malt listed by degL. Yeah, it seems sensible to talk in EBC, but everyone else in the world, homebrewing-wise anyway, seems to be talking degL. And since you can half the EBC value to get SRM/degL it shouldn't be that confusing?
Going with above hop and mash schedule. Adjusted grains to

Pale - 90%
Crystal, Dark (120L) 4.5%
Amber Malt (50L) 3%
Crystal, Pale (45L) 2.5%

OG 1.044, EFG 1.012, IBU 33
Any comments on this? Otherwise she's getting a brew'd on Sat.
Looks good to me. I hope you like hoppy beer though :)
Ok, brewing tomorrow.

If it's crap I'm blaming RealBeer :-P

Apologies, query re-posted correctly at the end of this thread

Hmm, I thought the open invitation to critique recipes might've been a busier thread
Here's my Ale for the weekend.
It's my Hallertau Blande Ale with a twist, I'm using Styrian Goldings instead !
Hallertau seem a pretty mild flavoured hop to me, maybe I don't throw enough in, so I thought I'd try it with the Styrians, which seem to have a more distinctive flavour
Ok, I'm using Medium Crystal instead of Caramalt too which might darken it up a tad too much
80% ADM Pils
15% Munich I
2.5% Medium Crystal
2.5% Wheat

13 IBU Super Alpha @ 60 min
8 IBU Styrian Goldings @ 30
6 IBU Styrian Goldings @ 15

1.040 and 27 IBU with US-05

If you look at it as a Blonde, it's at the low end of the gravity and high end of the IBU, badly balanced ?
I dont think it's badly ballanced at all. Infact - if this were a gesture to seek advise... I'd add a "donation" of hops at the flamout of the boil. It depends on what you want (of course) but 30g wouldn't go astray there...

If you finish around 1.008 - 1.010, there is plenty of room up to 40 IBU before it starts to get a bit "bitter" 27 will be "dry" if you know what I mean. There is also plenty of room for hops - which is why (I am partial to hops) I (personally) would add that flameout addition.

It wont be OTT at all.

100g at flameout... that would be OTT for a Blonde.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Blonde IPA.... sounds like a starter.
I had a bad experience overhopping with styrians - 23 litre batch, 23gm @ 10, 1 and dry hopped - or something similar.
Didn't lose the gritting grassiness over the 4 weeks in the keg. This time I was just going for some semi-balanced hop flavour - or at least in a ratio I knew was ok with another hop
Flame out - hmmm .. I'll consider
Do it, late hops rule ;o)

This is what im planning for my brew day on sat, a Roggenbier lager, going to try and get some wyeast 2000 going, but failing that probably just some S-05 or wlp001.. Any thoughts?

2.1kg Rye
1kg NZ Pale
1.2kg Munich
330g Cara-Munich
45g Carafa I
60 : 25g Pacific Hallertau 4.5%
FO : 23g Czech Saaz 2.5%
I am continually interested in seeing recipes that show many additions of various different hops? As far as I can see it is predominantly home brewers and as far as I can tell it has stemmed, largely from American home brewers.

One of the best lessons I have learnt from a professional brewer is BALANCE. Now I love a hoppy beer and I have brewed some really heavily hopped APA's. But that is with a maximum of 2 different hop varieties. I don't see the advantage of these multiple additions of various different hops. They end up canceling each other out, or at the least you don't get the full advantage of the lesser flavoured hops. Obviously, your bittering hops are exactly that and that will be determined by the bitterness you are trying to achieve and the AA of the hops.

Correct me if I am wrong but I feel that, apart from spending money on hops, and maybe getting some flavour from the various additions, they will not give a better brew?

How many professional brews add such varieties= none as far as I know? Why, because it doesn't give balance and it adds very little value to the flavour for the cost.

Beer for thought?
I've actually wondered the same thing, i fully agree with different additions at different times to get flavour, aroma etc but i only use 2 maybe 3 types of hops (one of them is a bittering) can anyone shed some light why they use a shit load of different hops?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service