Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Because I could, though my 280g Session IPA was possibly a little excessive... but god did it smell and taste amazing during bottling.
Otherwise its generally two different types, bitttering & then the aroma/flavour. But experimentation is fun :D
Nope, I usually just go a high alpha hop to bitter and the 'other' hop my for flavour etc
I'm not sophisticated enough to pick more than one flavour at a time ...
It depends on the beer, if its an APA I want complexity in my hop aroma and flavour, allthough I think the most different hops ive used in one beer was 4 and that was my Sheep Shagger IPA, and another APA I did, both of them were really really tasty, and I wouldnt say they cancell each other out, because I rebrewed the APA using only 3 hop variety's and found it lacking compared to the previously brewed one with 4 varietys...
There are a few pro's doing it, mostly in Imperial IPAs from what I've seen (see Pliny the Elder etc)

I don't think there is a problem using multiple types of hops and different times, but I think it's a lot safer to go with 2 different varieties. I think it takes a lot of experience to be able to throw in a three+ varieties and come out with something truely great.

The few beers that I've brewed using more than two varieties have always been nice and hoppy and very drinkable. But at the same time always seem to turn out messy or muddled in the hop character.

I've heard some say that a single hop can be one dimensional, I've brewed a few APAs using one hop only but with about 4 additions, usually two aroma and two flavour and one bittering, this helps create a more interestin hop flavour combo.
I hear you guys, the word is balance. I love hops! But I am beginning to learn, that a fewer hops, but more quantity is better than more but fewer (if you get what I mean).
Definitely agree - the beers I've brewed with shed loads of different hops end up being somewhat ambitious tasting and all over the show, although they do tend to come right if aged long enough. Same goes for different grains, I used to add a bit of pretty much everything in store simply because I had them, the resulting cacophony of flavours was not what you'd call a balanced beer.

Saw Billy connelly live last night, f**king great
In all seriosness, depending on style - the more hops the better. All arrogance aside, if you want a hoppy beer, put heaps in - make sure the different varieties work well together, brew it well, ferment it well, attenuate it well, condition it well: and the beer will taste well...
My NZIPA was tasting pretty good last night, 4 different hops and about 5-6 months in the bottle, yum :o) Complex hop profile, but its all melded together really well IMO.. I think the long bottle conditioning has helped it quite a bit

I agree with so many recipe sources coming from America and alot of them using Cascade and Target hops... and a bunch of others together must confuse the end result.

I have fallen into the trap of trying out American ingrediants and came away wondering what is wrong with their taste buds (Cascade hops are off my shopping list now).

I mostly only use 2 hops in a brew, some only 1. This allow me to develop a good job feel for the hop variety I am using or trying out.

Super Alpha, for example, when used as a bittering hop leave, IMHO, a lasting sourness to the beer that I find unpleasant thus I have stopped using it. If I have to use more of a lower AA hop to achive IBU target I don't mind .. flavour is more important.

Had some plans canceled the other evening so did this at the last minute for sh*ts and giggles:

mini mashed
1.5kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK
200g Cara-Pils
200g Crystal

200g Brown Sugar, Light
200g Molasses
1.5kg Pale Liquid Extract - late addition

60g Fuggles [6.90 %] (60 min) Hops 32.7 IBU
5g Fuggles [6.90 %] (15 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
5g Fuggles [6.90 %] (10 min) Flame out - 10 mins

S-05 rehydrated
OG 1.051

Not sure what it is, maybe an ESB? Also, I think I *might* have been a bit stingy on the late hops. I had an opened bag of Fuggle pellets I wanted to use up and only had 70g (though 6.9%). Any opinions? Will be transferring to secondary tomorrow night - should I dry hop? I have some Cascade cones and Imp Williamette, Northern Brewer, Cascade, NZ Goldings pellets in the freezer.
I'm surprised the hop heads haven't told you to throw a few hundred grams in by now ?
By comparison to them I'm a hop miser and I'd say you're a bit light. 1gm per litre as a dry hop addition I reckon, use your favourite hop at the moment

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service