Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70863

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wheres your recipe then? ;oP
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 30.00 L
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 13.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.40 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (Bairds) (3.2 SRM) Grain 87.18 %
0.45 kg .Crystal, Pale (Bairds) (45.0 SRM) Grain 11.54 %
0.05 kg .Chocolate Malt (Bairds) (609.0 SRM) Grain 1.28 %
10.00 gm .Southern Cross [14.80 %] (60 min) Hops 20.1 IBU
20.00 gm .Styrian Goldings, NZ [2.90 %] (20 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
20.00 gm .East Kent Goldings [4.70 %] (20 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
10.00 gm .Styrian Goldings, NZ [2.90 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
10.00 gm .East Kent Goldings [4.70 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.25 tsp .Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp .PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.50 tsp .Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [Starter 1Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 3.90 kg
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Saccharification Add 11.67 L of water at 73.8 C 68.0 C
10 min Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 10 min 75.6 C

I'm thinking maybe a little too much pale crystal, maybe a little 120L in there as well?
My 2 cents...

Never really been a fan of Pale Crystal, I used Cara-hell a few times and wasnt too happy with the results.. Id probably use 120L (is that medium?) personally..

Other than that, looks pretty tasty bro!
Pale crystal as in the 40 - 50L stuff? Or are you thinking of the Caramalt that's like 10 - 20? That's closer to carahell isn't it? I don't like that ultra-light stuff either, too much sweetness and little favour I recks.

120L is the dark crystal, the medium crystal is about 75L I think.

Cheers mate.
Carahell & Caramalt ?
Beautiful grains, love'm if you've got the right use for them.
There's no point just adding a grain just for the hell of it, you've got to add it for a reason and expect to get something out of it.

As for mixing crystals (and chocolates), good idea. The lighter and darker add different flavours and I regulary add a mix of them
Usually 2/3rds a darker and 1/3rd a lighter - though that's just to my taste
I have got in a habbit of using 2 types of crystals at the moment what I find I get out of it is a progressive sweetness that seems to tame some of my bigger bitterness. I usualy only stay @ around 5% as I mash in at 67 degrees, and higher for lower gravity Bitters. Chocolate malt in the recipe I reacon is about right but I usualy only use it as a colour adjuster and I think to much of it can most defintly over power the delicate bitters
Yeah I normally stick to 5ish% for my crystals too...

Sorry im still getting my head around this whole numberL thing, but yeah, carahell equals the suck with bugger flavour...

So its a little lighter than medium, Id maybe drop it to 200g and maybe throw in some 120L (I love that stuff) as well, maybe 100g?
Yeah, sounds good, seems using a couple of crystals can increase the complexity as well. Jamil also recommended the 120 in the BestBitter podcasst I listened to today, so seems like a good idea.

I like the sorta christmas-cake I get with 120L, kinda raisin-y. I think chucking in some lighter crystal for a little caramel, sweetness and body with it will work well. I used a little amber in my last one and liked the little hint of roast/biscuit type flavour it gave, and thinking a little choc may give a similar effect and some nice colour adjustment.

Degrees L is basically the same as the SRM value, and SRM as roughly equal to half the EBC. In all three systems higher the number - darker the grain. IIRC the specialties we get here go caramalt - 15L, pale crystal 45L, (medium) crystal 75L, and dark crystal 120L, amber 50L, choc, 600L, roast 650L, carahell 13L, caramunich II 65L, caramunich III 73L, off the top of my head.
Thats awesome bud cheers for that :o)
I'd second the couple-of-crystals approach. I normally use medium and dark crystals in my bitters - to about 7% of the total malt bill - often with 2 to 3 percent amber malt too.

Five percent of crystal is a good guide, but it's going to depend on your expected attenuation, IBUs, and other specialty grains too.
Caramalt around 15L, normal crystal about 40L, dark crystal about 80L, caraaroma 120L, amber about 25L, pale chocolate 215-230L, chocolate 425-450L, roast 500L.
Honestly, if you're serious about your colour, you're better to get the specs for the product from the supplier - every supplier is diff, batches change and I don't know who in NZ is supplying malt rated by lovibond ?
A bit secondary, but if you buy it with an EBC rating, why not discuss it with an ebc rating ?
Could save some confusion ?

cheers, jt

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service